Box questions (sealed or ported?)

Bronze Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 77
I have two Infinity 1230W (300Wrms each) and so far they've been in a sealed box I got for a good price(meaning prefab). Now I'm looking to get a better box. Are these subs better for a sealed or ported box? I'm looking for sql.

FS (HZ). . 27.27
QMS . . . .6.14
QES. . . . 0.47
QTS. . . . 0.44
XMAX (IN). . . . . . . . 0.49
XMAX (MM).. . . . . 12.25

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9339
Qts is smack in the middle of the range.
they'd work sealed or ported equally well.
I'd go ported myself

Bronze Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 83
what kind of price range would I be looking at for a good quality ported box? and would you go slot port or round ports?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 334
the Qts of my RE12's is .38. Will that work good with a sealed box? I heard a lot of people putting in a ported tuned to 32Hz but I think I am gonna do a 1.5 cubic foot per chamber sealed box. Should that do pretty good for them?

Bronze Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 84
And what should it be tuned to? It plays everything but country, my amp is underpowering them, it's a Rockford P3001, but I'm not pushing it to the limit as it is. The amp has no subsonic filter just settings for the LPF

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9353
without a subsonic filter, use a sealed box. otherwise you run the risk of destroying the sub

Bronze Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 88
Ok but for future, can you recommend some amps that are about 600-700Wrms at 2 ohms mono that has a subsonic filter? Budget would be pretty low, about 150-200 shipped off ebay, also what kind of range should the box be tuned to?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9357
tune the box to about 34Hz.
as for the amp you'll have to do the shopping. ebay pricing fluctuates so much it's not even worth trying to guess waht something will sell for.
I don't trust ebay for most audio products. too many losers on ebay unloading blown or fried gear on unsuspecting people looking for deals too good to be true.

Bronze Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 90
Ok thanks Glass, any opinions on Hifonics Brutus BX605, are they reliable, underrated/overrated?

Bronze Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 92
Is it possible to build a subsonic filter or buy one seperately?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9366
partsexpress.com sells FMOD high pass filters at 20Hz. that'll work. it's line-level.
works as a SSF.

Bronze Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 93
OK, I see how those filters work. I see they have 20 and 30Hz high pass. Which would you recommend and would you have the box tuned down to 30Hz with the 30Hz filter? and hopefully last question do ported boxes boost output at all frequencies above tuned or just a narrow range?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9375
yeah use the 30Hz filter.
and a ported box peaks in output near the tuned frequency.. the response starts at the LPF point, say 80Hz or so.. and gently climbs a little, then near the tuned freq, it spikes a bit, then rolls off sharply below that point.
if I had a graph of one with cabin gain factored in I'd upload it here but I don't at the moment

maybe someone does

Bronze Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 99
Glasswolf, I found the ebay store for harrison labs (the manufacturer of the FMOD's you recommended) my questoin is they have a subsonic filter listed that is rated at 37Hz, 18dB/octave slope for 22.50. Sound like a good thing for me? and would I get box tuned for 37 then? sorry for all the questions but it's the only way to learn.

Silver Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 106
I found the ebay store for harrison labs (the manufacturer of the FMOD's you recommended) my questoin is they have a subsonic filter listed that is rated at 37Hz, 18dB/octave slope for 22.50. Sound like a good thing for me? and would I get box tuned for 37 then? sorry for all the questions but it's the only way to learn.

Username: Subwoofernoobey

Post Number: 5
I need some blueprint for my 10"kicker comp sub to fit behind my Chevy S10, i only have 7-8" behind rear seat though :S, so could u possibly give me some websites to places where u can get dimensions drawn up!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us