What Size Alternator is needed for an Orion 2500D?

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 70
I currently have a Camaro with the stock alternator. I have a 7" Screen flip out dvd player, an MRV-F340 alpine amp for my highs and a 880 RMS power acoustik amp for my 2 12" subs.

The PA amp goes on protect mode a lot when i turn the bass up loud. Could this be becuz I have a stock alternator and i have all that sh!t running and the amp isn't getting enough power? I have a 1.2 Farad Power cap also.

I plan to upgrade to 1 Orion H2 12.2 and Possibily a Orion 2500D amp (1700 RMS at 2 ohms) Would would you guys recommend is enough amps for a new HO alternator. Also how much? thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 169
probably something like a 200a or 250a alternator would be fine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
do you know what my stock alternator would be putting out approx.??

Silver Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 138
check it yourself.. tis really easy to do.. pop your hood and look at your engine.. on the left side there should be an object with a belt on it.. thats your alternator.. look at the top and in a dot writing (like a bunch of periods) it will have a number and AMP

or you could go to autozone and find out

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3914
It doesn't matter what your stock alternator puts out. Whatever it is, most of them will be used by the car itself. Therefore, whether it's 70A (average) or 100A, you normally will have around 20A to play with. Anything more, and you will need HO alternator.
170A - 200A should work for your situation. If you need to know the shops/stores that sell them, check under the accessories. There's already threads on alternators and links.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9288
the amp is going into protect mode because the gain is set too high and/or your alternator lacks enough current to drive the amp when the bass is turned up and it draws more power.

this tells how to figure out alternator specs;
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
thanks glass, i know i don't have the gain set 2 high becuz its about half way.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 531
i was going to say b/c it is a PA amplifier. lol but that's just an opinion

Silver Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 139
personally i never needed a new alternator- my stock is a 140 AMP.. was put in before i bought it.. like i said first thing you should do is check it because if you dont you will never know how big it really is.. no need to buy a new one if its not necessary

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 692
Camaro's are easy to find an HO alternator for...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
really? i can't find any on ebay for a 1997 camaro. i searched "camaro alternator" and could not find any high output for my year.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9304
www.4alterstart.com
www.excessiveamperage.com
www.mralternator.com
www.ohiogen.com

any of those sites will have what you need.

Silver Member

Post Number: 700
www.excessiveamperage.com and email Nathan, he can hook you up with a kit pretty decently priced too. He got me a 160 amp for my Jeep for $125 shipped. And for a 200 amp, he wanted $250 :P. And for finding an alternator... if it's the 350 stock block (I believe the LS6? -Glass?) it should be pretty easy. There's a lot of those little engines running around.

I read an article in Hot Rod once, that they kept the block stock, regular air induction, and got the car down to 10 seconds. Amazed the hell out of me...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9343
gale banks makes a twin turbo 350 CSB crate motor that cranks out 1400BHP. if you want to see amazing, check that out.

Chevy has two 350 SB blocks. they changed from old to new style in the late 1980s and they are totally different blocks. You need to know which one you have if you want to talk about mods for the motor.
a 97 car would be the new block style

Silver Member

Post Number: 702
I'm sure it was the new block. You should check that article out. They did it all without any "power adders" (turbo, supercharger, nitros, etc.) All just getting the air and fuel to the pistons and some stronger ignition.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3935
If you want a cheaper way of racing, then save your money for the new xbox 360. It's will be on sale this November. The graphics will be at least 2x better than the current system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 706
Lol. I like to FEEL the G's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us