What does this mean?

Username: Osito852

Post Number: 4
Hi, I'm looking at a description of used 6x9 speakers and I quote "This is a used set with new grills. I could only check this on my home system. 1 of them popped @ 150w, the other took it. This will be a great set if you are not pushing over 100w. One did pop when pushed past the rating, but sounds great within limits. There is no physical damage to the speakers."

So when he says popped the speakers, did he damage the speakers while he was testing them or whatever? Why is he recommending not to use the speakers over 100watts, RMS for these speakers is 100 watts anyways. . . Any other disadvantages / risks to buying a pair of used (or these speakers?)

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 745
Stay away. Scratch 6X9 and get some 6.5's

Username: Osito852

Post Number: 5
I always had thought to get 6x9s if you have room for them, but do the 6.5's actually fit well in the space provided by 6/x9s for all cars??

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 414
They don't fit too well but its worth it to make them fit. Whatever you do, don't buy the 6x9s that "popped"

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9282
what he did was put too much power to the speakers without any sort of damping from an enclosure, causing the speaker to bottom out and go beyond it's Xsus.
he basically blew the speaker by being a dumbass.

buy something else. preferably new.

Anonymous

you can fit a component set consisting of a 5 1/2 and a tweeter if you build your own plate

that way your 6x9s dont chew gum
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us