Amp for JL 13W7? Shooting for under $400ish?

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 85
Any suggestions? This whole 3 ohm SVC is a pain in the bootie... I'm not looking for like the best of the best... Have had good experiences with Hifonics Brutus line.. But can anyone suggest something to power this monster?? Trying to find something at around 1250ish RMS for it at 3 ohms.. Would be really nice if it came with a remote bass boost, but that's not necessary.. Budget is around $400, but would really prefer to keep it below $350. Having my custom slot-ported box built for my firebirds cargo hatch space tomorrow.. (will hold my t-tops, too!) and will post pictures.. That will make Seven subs, six 12" subs, (in bandpass enclosures, and the new W7)..should sound nifty.

Seth

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 533
The Hifonics Maxximus! Or any of Hifonics newest "Greek God" line stuff would be even more powerful!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Are you being serious..? Hard to tell. Only problem with hifonics, is even like the BX22-- at 3 ohms would only be putting out like 700 at 3 ohms..

Anonymous

You go out an buy a 13w7 and then want go cheapo on the AMP? Don't know what to tell you there man. Not in your price range.

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
I'm serious, they have some new beastly amps out. There's one that does like 5000W RMS I believe. Or, check out Kicker's 2500.1 it's pretty beefy itself. Wait, why did you buy 3 ohm/SVC? Don't they make a DVC model? That would have been much easier lol. I heard that the JL 1000/1 (although pricey) put's out 1000W at ANY IMPEDANCE...it's worth a shot, because they don't use current limiters I think is what they are called.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Phoenix Gold X1200.1

This amp puts out 1200 watts at 1 ohm, and 1200 watts at 4 ohms, just the same. Similar to JL style amps. Can anyone let me know if these are decent amps?

Seth

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
One more thing, you have 6 subs, and a W7? They really should all be at least the same brand, otherwise you MIGHT experience some cancellation, probably by the 6 other subs, as the W7 being as nice and powerful as it is, won't have the SPL's to keep up alone...This is depending on what size subs we're talking too, if the other 6 are 8's, I don't see too much of a problem. Haha, they should have been JL w0's, and the W7. NOW THAT would have been nifty, all the lows from the w0's and the SPL's from the W7 would have been bone tingling. Are you rich or something? Also, bandpass doesn't sound all that great, probably consider custom fiberglass if you're looking for flash, but still want SQ and performance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
I've heard PG is garbage...but hey, I've never used them, so I can't judge. However, they are massmarketed to most car audio retailers if that tells you something. Brands like JL aren't seen commonly where I live, but I've seen PG as well as the other massmarkteted stuff out there. Most likely if it's trying to do the same as JL with the 1200W at ANY impedance, it's prbably overrated to start with. Get one of the amps I listed, they are quality.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Really? It's CEA 2006 rated...and according to glasswolfs post, they're either as good, or better than hifonics lines, etc... Hmmm..

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 56
bad news for ya man.....i don't know how they are gonna put a 13.5 w7 in your firebird and keep your other subs. especially vented as my 12 w7 vented sits in the hatch cargo area but i don't have t-tops. i would get rid of some of those others subs as they will cancel. and the 13 is a dvc version of the w7 line. 3 ohm a coil. can wire it at 1.5....don't quote me on that as i just got off a 14 hour shift and my brain is kinda floatin around on me. but i think if you sold those other six subs and invested in a zapco reference amp such as the 1100.1 like i did you will prolly be very well satisfied. will let you know what i hit with this new box and amp as soon as the next show rolls thru my area in the next month or so.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 761
Are you the guy with all the Dual subs and boxes mish mashed into your Camaro? You want to add a W7?...

What has the world come too.

As for Phoenix Gold, they aren't all that bad. I would rate them along the lines of Kicker and the like.

The JBL would be a reasonably priced and effective amp.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 546
the phoenix gold xenon is a pretty good amp...i'd shoot for that...you took out your back seat right? i had 2 12" l7's in my firebird and still had a custom slot for the t-tops...so u can make that work...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Heh...here's everything I have now David.Upload

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 771
Thats confusing..

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
correct me if I'm wrong...but you are using about 9 or 10 different brands reguarding your subs and amps? many speakers and amps have ups and downs...where certain music sounds amazing and others sound crappy...you try to get it so that the music that you listen to sounds amazing...with that type of setup, that makes it tough to make it just right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
subs, amps, and speakers I counted 9 or 10 brands that I can see (pic is a little light)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Ok to put it in text...

JVC KD-SHX700 Head unit
(3 RCA out, one sub, front, and back)

-Jensen (jpa460)4ch amp (CEA 2006 rated 60x4)
Two MB Quart RCE 164 6.5" midbass drivers
Two RF FNQ44101X 1" Tweets

-Power Acoustik Gothik OV4-800 (85x4RMS)
Two Pioneer REV series 6.5" 2ways

-Hifonics BX1605 Mono amp (1600@1ohm)
Three XNBP12D boxes (Final of 1.33 ohm)
Each has two 12" subs - 4th order bandpass

-Phoenix Gold X1200.1 Mono (1200@1-4 ohm)
JL 13W7 in Custom Slot ported box
(built for my cargo hatch by a local
JL authorized dealer)

-Kole Audio C12HD 12 Farad Capacitor

-200 Amp Alternator
-105 Amp Alternator (2nd alt isnt installed atm, waiting for a custom kit from Summit Racing)

-Two Optima Yellow Top Batteries

Sorry the pic was so small, had to shrink it to the 600x600 limitations of these boards...was originally much larger.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3947
Seth, why don't you sell all your subs and get 2 RE X.X.X. 12" in a ported box? It should sound better and louder than your current setup.
Have you checked the little sticker on the PG's amp? Where is it made in? Lot of them, if not all, are not from the States.
Don't ever use the Hifonics to power your JL sub. That's like Whitney (wasn't a druggie before she met him) and Bobby Brown. It'll ruin it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Isaac, really? Those 12" subs only cost $149 each. (For both, in a pre-made box). So $450 paid for all 6 12's and the enclosures... It's actually surprisingly loud... Not saying better than RE X.X.X's, but I couldnt get two of those for that price, could I even get one..?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3950
I think the old RE X.X.X 12" were under $260. So for a bit more, you could be set for life. I doubt you'd out grow them in SQ and SPL.
The RE's 15" sold for around $370. Even that one sub in a ported box will be very loud.
Take a look at RE's new X.X.X. pictures. It makes the old one look like a midget.
If you sell your subs now, you might get good money for them. Once the new RE subs hit the market, demand on JLw7 won't be as high.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us