I have the worst luck with amps

Vinny
Unregistered guest
Ok guys, my Alpine V12 amp shut off on me while I was driving about a month ago. The digital read-out screen says "CURR". I checked EVERY one of the wires and there all good. I also replaced the two fuses just in case. Problem still persisted. I disconnected everything and hooked it back up and now all of a sudden the screen is blank after I hooked it all back up. Anyone with any ideas? This Alpine is a great amp but been giving me problems as of late with random shutting off and kicking back on. It usually reads around 12-14volts. Maybe the amp finally just gave out? My trunk is kinda small and my box takes up most of it. Thanks In Advance

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 73
probably shut off because it was trying to protect itself from overheating. As for the current issue you could have an alternator thats too weak, but being that the amp light doesnt turn on at all can't be a good thing. what exactly is your set up like? Are you trying to run 1000watts off a stock alternator or what? more info needed man.

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 74
how about your fuse from the battery is that blown??

Vinny
Unregistered guest
All the fuses are good, i just checked them all. Its an Alpine V12 monoblock amp with 1 Alpine Type E 12inch and 1 Pioneer 12. So im not pushing big wattage. :-(

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 52
Which V12 do you have? What is the VC config. on those subs you're running? How are they wired? You may be pushing more watts than you think.

Vinny
Unregistered guest
its the MRD-301. Im sorry I dont know what a VC config means lol

I had this same system in my last car and it was fine, a lot more airflow in that cars trunk though.

Vinny
Unregistered guest
oh, and the subs were bridged. I also tried running the wires straight to 1 sub, same result.

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 55
VC = Voice Coil

Some subs have single VCs and some have dual VCs. They can be 4 ohm, 2 ohm, 6 ohm, 8 ohm, etc.

What exactly do you mean by "the subs were bridged"? Did you just wire positive to positive and negative to negative?

I thought maybe you were running that amp at an impedance it wasn't capable of handling, but since you tried it with one sub and it still didn't work, I don't know. Maybe it's just the heat in the trunk.

Vinny
Unregistered guest
Oh my fault, there single voice coils.

and my bad, they werent bridged, i got it confused with my old MTX 4 channel. This is a monoblock. I think its just somehow stuck in mode because it overheated, now getting it out of the mode is the trick.

Vinny
Unregistered guest
thanks for the help guys, 1 more question, the manual says the amps door that covers the wires has to be screwed down or it may malfunction and will void the warranty, could this be the reason it malfunctioned?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us