JL audio amps. Infinity Kappa Perfects.

Bronze Member
Username: Kyle_allen

Post Number: 20
Here is what I have.
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 in front
Rear fill (still pending, I know rear fill is not necessary but I prefer to have a little fill, any recommendations on speaker to pair with my perfects would be appreciated...I won't use stock speaker though)
2 10" Alpine Type R's
Alpine IVA 901 head unit
I currently have a Rockford fosgate amps powering my speakers and subs. The subs are running off of a 1001bd Fosgate, parallel at 500watts a piece. The speaker are running at 110 rms x 4 channels. I want more power to my perfects. Just not loud enough yet at max. I was looking into JL audio to replace my entire system. The rockford amps are great and run excellent with good power but I just want to upgrade a little more. JL audio has a amp that is 450/4 at 150 rms to the front channels and 75 rms to the rear channels. OR I could be a 2 channel amp. I will more than likely replace the sub amp as well just for looks. Probably get a matching amp for the sub. My car is going to be a show car hopefully. Any advice on an amp setup would be appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Oh by the way the system isn't what I'm showing off. I have been invited to several mustang shows, but I want the stereo to sound decent as well. Let me know what you guys think about the amp situation. Thanks,

Bronze Member
Username: Xxcodytxx1

Post Number: 24
DO NOT DROP THE 6.1'S!!!! Just feed them more power, they are the best speakers I have ever Had, and Even the experts on crutchfield agree, although i would suggest swithing the fosgate amps for something like cadence, or MTX, and the JL subs would probablly be an upgrade to, depending on what type of enclosure you have.

Bronze Member
Username: Xxcodytxx1

Post Number: 25
Oh Just read it again, the amp powering your components sounds fine, just bridge each speaker across 2 channels

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4431
You're not going to notice a big difference going from 110 to 150 watts via the JL amplifier. It would take around double the power to make a difference worth mentioning (3db increase). Test by disconnecting your subs and bridging your current Rockford amp, if that isn't loud enough, consider either different components or an additional set of the 6.1s. If you added a second set and wired them in parallel to the amplifier, giving double the power, that would equal a 6db increase. To give you an idea of how much a 6db increaseis , disconnect one of your Type Rs, then reconnect it. That's approximately a 6db change. It's very noticeable. Another option would be to step up to a 3 way component system, or simply a more powerful speaker system in general. It's hard to beat the Infinities for the price, but if you wanted to spend some moolah then you could step to something better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Jonathan, my 4 channel amp is stable at 4 ohms bridged. My perfects are 4 ohm. How would I hook up the additional components to work correctly. Wouldn't those speakers present a 2 ohm load to my amp? Also, I am unable to place additional speaker int he front of my car. Kickpanels just are not an option given the room in my car. Could I put a set in the rear and place the additional tweeter up front and just run the mids in the rear for fill? Would this work? Let me know. My car is ready to go back together and I want to get everything done before I put it back together. One more question. How much of a difference does it make, soundwise, if your interior is out of your car. My car has edead everywhere, but my carpert headliner and seats are out. Would this drastically reduce the db in the car? Thanks for the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Also, someone recommended biamping to me before on another thread. Could someone explain this process to me? Thanks,

Anonymous

different amps/watts for the woofer and tweeter

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 560
wire the 2 pairs in parallel...that would present a 2 ohm load to the amp...that would allow double the power output...so u don't have to bridge it...don't biamp the perfects...thats just retarted...it's only 100 watts rms

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4468
"Jonathan, my 4 channel amp is stable at 4 ohms bridged. My perfects are 4 ohm. How would I hook up the additional components to work correctly. Wouldn't those speakers present a 2 ohm load to my amp?"
If you bridged the amplifier and applied only one set of components, you would have the 4 ohm bridge that the amp is stable to (the amp "sees" the same impedance that it would if it were 2 ohm stereo, which is why power output increases when bridging).

"Could I put a set in the rear and place the additional tweeter up front and just run the mids in the rear for fill? Would this work?"

You could, but it isn't going to add a lot of SPL unless you run the rears full tilt. You will also have issues with too much treble up front, in which you'd have to fade the rears out a good bit to get the balance you'd likely want as the Perfects are already a bright set.

"One more question. How much of a difference does it make, soundwise, if your interior is out of your car. My car has edead everywhere, but my carpert headliner and seats are out. Would this drastically reduce the db in the car?

You won't see any really noticeable SPL gains from reinstalling the car carpet and seats, but it will reduce road noise to an extent (which isn't an issue with your evaluation as you're likely listening with the car off and not moving).

"Also, someone recommended biamping to me before on another thread. Could someone explain this process to me? Thanks,"

Biamping is when you run a dedicated amp for the drivers (amp for mids, amp for tweets). If you're using the passive crossover, you really won't see a lot of benefit and would be better to simply apply more power to the components. Biamping is mandatory if you run active crossovers, which BTW will get louder. Passive crossovers eat up a good bit of the power that comes from the amplifiers, especially in your case as your set comes with 24db/oct x-overs, which have a lot of components. Another thing that can be solved with more power, though :-).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Could I bypass my crossovers and set the crossover settings on my head unit. Would this allow me to use all four channels to power my 6.1's in the front, or would I need to run a separate amps to achieve this. I have a two channel amp that I may be able to use. Since I'm currently running throught the external crossover would my speakers handle the combined power if I bridge. It is significantly larger than the recommended. Thanks,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us