Custom wiring a radar detector

Jeffy
Unregistered guest
I am looking to build a custom overhead console for my vehicle & would like to mount(among other things) a cobra 9870 radar detector in it. I am planning on taking it apart, re-soldering the buttons & displays.
My question is: what do I need to know about the sensors on the detector? Am I going to destroy the sensitivity by mounting the radar sensors in the console, or are there any special things I need to know about mounting the sensors? It's a 360 degree detector.

Bronze Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 57
I actually thought about mounting the sensor up in front of the car in the grill on a few occasions...

Ryan1231
Unregistered guest
dont do either. putting the detector in the grill will cause a lot of problems, one being that cars can block the signal. its not high enough. the higher the better. putting your sensors inside the dash isnt a good idea either becuase its too low. you could do this, but it would have little effectiveness.

Username: Lincoln_ls_guy

Post Number: 8
i wouldn't put the radar in an overhead console for one very good reason.... most cops today use laser, which is a much narrower band, therefore harder to detect. Cops also aim it at the license plate area of the vehicle, which is not where your radar will be looking. The lower on the windsheild, the better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us