Jensen

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
i have a 10" jensen 150 watts, the jensen xs1010. dpes n e 1 know what type of box would be better, sealed or ported or other?

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 264
do you want SQ, or louder-boomier SQ?

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 265
if you want the first, go with sealed
if you want the 2nd, go with a ported

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 266
i say louder-boomier SQ, b/c you won't get much SPL with 150 watts:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Cnafets

Post Number: 36
And please don't buy a prefab ported box. Unless you know the tuning, at least 35hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I mean at most.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 268
you mean to say if it were lower he would be going up in hz?

Username: Kaos13

USA

Post Number: 9
lol astro i have the same sub in my closet, the one with the purple in the middle ill sell it to ya lol.

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
yea i want louder boomier.. its goin in a van so yea. both my 15's have huge seperate boxes homemade but the subs are junk. pyramids 300 watts each. i got it all for free tho i plan to upgrade the 2 15's and reinforce the boxes but if i want tehm louder with a deeper boom what di i do? port or seal? if i port can i stick a peice of pvc pipe in the holes that are already there? will that make it ported? there are to holes in each box that is about an inch and a half wide. or do i cover them and seal? if i port then i got some work to do. it doesnt really matter tho what ever sounds better since this is my 1st project.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 271
Ported is generally louder, unless you know how to bring the most out of the sub in a sealed enclosure

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
astro, im talkin about a van chevy astro / gmc safari

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 272
which has to do with xmax, and qts or sumthin

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
oh i c what he means he has the same sub i do. my bad.. no my subs are blue and have black come in the middle that says pyramid phase||| on it these things are old real old but they still work alright

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
1.5 inches might be a little to small for a ported enclosure, you may get port noise. I would do at least 2.5-3 inches.

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
ok i have a van. ported will make it sound better in a van i hope, ill try it and what is "sq"???? i have been hearing that all night i dont even kno what it means and im not good with tweaking power just right so ill port and get an amp for the subs that i upgrade to plan on gettin mtx using just one sub on an amp that powers it untill i get more money for the second sub and do the same thing with that 1, then i will have 2 subs two amps that way if sumthin goesronf i will still have a sub and amp unless HU goes

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 275
Sound Quality

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 276
and SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
but pvc piping stuck in 2 holes in 1 sub box wich is 1.5 inches per hole which is 3 inches that will be to ports, is pvc piping a good idea? can i just stick in some pvc instead of covering the holes and cutting new stuff and rebuilding? the holes that are in my boxes are just to holes 1.5 inches each the boxes were made by some one that had no idea what they were doing they nailed them togather no seal or nothing then the wire came off 1 in the inside so they dicided to throw them out and b 4 they did they gave them to me i fixed them they work now and are sealed and screwed with still jost hole cut in the front.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigred2069

Post Number: 94
hey bro i drive a van too
vans are for ballers right?
1988 dodge ram full size, we call it the mystery machine it looks like scoobys hahah

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Ok 2 ports. That'll work fine. Pvc piping is the best way to go for round ports.

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
ok now how do i put my subs in? on the inside of the box facing out or so the outer ring part of the sub is on the outside of the box or inside out with the outer ring on the outside or inside out with the outer ring on the inside?

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
and i have a van because i like my boxes man and i dont want to go smaller i dont no if ur a baller or what im not and i have had a van before and they are great and subs sound good in them.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 284
either way, just make sure you reverse the polarity, when you have the magnet outside the box

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
can u xplain that a little to me?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Flip the wires on the sub if you have it facing in.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 294
which means if you mount the sub on the outside of the box:-)

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 295
put the negative speaker wire to the positive terminal on the amp and vice versa

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
why?

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
on my subs ui cant tell which is positive n whisch is negative

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 297
I don't know exactly why but if you don't you will easily blow the sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
You won't blow your sub, but the ouput will be very low.

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
thats like the guy with the worng wireing it was bouncing out instead of in i had 1 of my pyramids out of the box and hooked up to a HU and the power the hu was puting ot almost blew my sub with out the box

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 298
well my friend blew his by wiring his wrong, but he was the type of person that turned his stuff up really loud and just kind of ignored the distortion..lol

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 299
i was told that you can blow a speaker with only 5 watts of distortion....don't know if there is any validity to this statement...he might have meant a woofer, and not a subwoofer, or just a speaker in general

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
how is a woofer and a subwoofer different?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
That's because power handling decreases with out the box. And because its a pyramid, lol.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 301
a woofer is your door speaker, a tweeter makes those high pitched sounds, and you know that a sub produces sub-bass frequencies

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
A subwoofer is designed to play subsonic frequencies, 20hz-50hz. A woofer is designed to play bass frequencies, 50hz-80hz. Basically a subwoofer plays lower.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 302
there are also super tweeters, and mid-range speakers the latter of the two is seen more commonly in car audio know as a 3-way component set
Upload

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 303
*this is known as a 3-way component set, consisting of a woofer, mid-range, and a tweeter*

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I'm talking in home audio terms, but yeah the speakers that go in your doors play from 80hz-1khz. Really good woofers play higher.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 304
DLS no less lol

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
then whats a speaker? and mids?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
I think we should let him absorb this wealth of knowledge.lol

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 305
don't worry my young padawan...soon YOU will be teaching the masses..lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
A speaker is anything that converts electrical energy in to sound. Mids are in the middle of woofers and tweeters.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 306
these are all different types of speakers, each of them designed to play different levels of sound. a mid-range speaker takes the woofers job and splits it in two for better sound. the mid-range takes the upper half of mid-bass sounds, and the woofer takes the lower half.
the less amount of different sound levels a speaker has to play, the louder it can play them.thus dividing the speakers into different categories, so you can give them a lot of watts without distortion:-)

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
oh im absorbing i love talkin a bout this sh*t i am learning and lovin
i should quit skool but i probly need grade 12 to get in sum where that uses this talk and what are ohm's? my subs are 4 ohm and i thing dual voice coil means there is 2 places to wire the subs am i right?

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 307
does that clear it up, or do you want to know more? lol

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 308
an ohm is a measure of impedance or resistance if you will

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 309
the less impedance an amp has(the lower the ohms) the more power it can produce

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
ummmm...... the watts in a head unit like the 52x4 is for the woofers and mids right? and the sub out goes to the amp then the subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Kinda sorta. You DO NOT want to wire one voice coil of a dvc sub. It results in bad sound possible damage to the sub. Anyway subs have different vc's so you have more options of the amp you can get. Some amps put out there max at 2ohms, some at 1. This gives you some flexibility of the amp you can buy.

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 310
pretty much

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I forgot to tell you how to wire them. You are gettin schooled tonight. hehe http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=145

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 311
it is more like 25 watts rms x 4 per channel, but yes, 50 watts is more than likely the max rating, it looks better on the box if there is a higher number for the watts, most cd players do about the same

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
the 52x4 is for the speaqkers woofers and mids? is there a tweater out? when hookin up an amp for the mids and woofers is it good to do it through the speakers outs to the amp to the spakers? the sub out goes to the amp and then to the subs? what if u have more subs then the amp can handle then do you wire a nother amp for the sub out? where does the sub out go to? the sub out ion the amp or some where else?

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 313
where's my apple? lol

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
by the time ur apples get from here to there it wont even bge an apple n e more

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 315
lol

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 316
astrosafari you should register..it doesn't cost anything, except 5 minutes of your time

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
i wanna get a sony xplod head unit and an 800 watt amp from sony good idea or no? all my subs together are 750 watts total- 300+300+150=750 and ppl say to get an amp with a little more power than ur subs

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
i will register i spend alot of time here but it will cost alot of ur time haha

Bronze Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 27
yea you should get an amp with a little bit more power than your sub but scratch the whole sony idea...sony makes unreliable and sh!tty sounding car audio..sure it gets loud but it sounds like @$$

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 317
do DOT buy any audio equipment from sony EVER!!
they are in the business to make a buc, not for quality products

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 318
i don't mind, thats why i registered, so i could help people like.....you lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
the 52x4 is for the speaqkers woofers and mids?
yes, if you have mids. Most component speakers come with woofers and tweets. The x4 means it has 4 channels. front left and right and rear left and right.
is there a tweater out?
No, tweeter and woofers come with crossovers to seperate the frequecies that they play.
when hookin up an amp for the mids and woofers is it good to do it through the speakers outs to the amp to the speakers?
Yes that way you get the cleanest possible signal to your speakers. You forgot the tweeter, the most important thing in your car. Even more important than the engine.
the sub out goes to the amp and then to the subs?
Yes
what if u have more subs then the amp can handle then do you wire a nother amp for the sub out?
Yes, you will need to buy a rca splitter, so both amps can get the same signal
where does the sub out go to? the sub out ion the amp or some where else?
The sub out goes to the amplifier powering your subs. The sub in. lol

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 319
less profane language and more tek talk, we are tryin to learn this boy sumthin!!! lol

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
i want to go mtx there new 22 is real nice... way out of my price range probelly and 6000 watts is alot of fines. mtx stuff is cheaper then some stuff and very reliablethey say on there website cuz if there lieing they are putinf some anem brands down on there website

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 320
your gonna have to buy us lunch or sumthin!! lol

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 321
you know colleges make a killing off of charging people for information, and yes tweeters can make or break your system.....see that...no laughing....it's true

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
What???lol

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 322
lmao

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 103
I just read some of the thread. I am glad you put a DLS pic up muddy cuz they are the best SQ company IMO. However, i would have to say the a 3 way set is not comprise of a woofer, midrage, and tweeter. It constists of a Midbass, Midrange, and tweeter. When people think of woofers they think of subs, so i just wanted to clear that up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Hey astro, speak legibly. lol

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
well i g2g work in the mornin ill have 50 hours in if i work tomorrow and all i do is wash stuff like trucks and rooves and stuff real easy 10$ an hour ill be back tomorrow to register and learn n stuff im out l8er

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 324
yeah, good point, but there will always be a difference between a woofer and a subwoofer

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
peace

Silver Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 325
peace, i'm going to bed 2.
FREE QUICK SHOT, ICE, AND CHRIS!! lol

HEAD SHOT!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »