Getting air

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
what difference do ports make in a sub box? i have seen sub boxes that dont even have air holes what does that do? my boxes just have 2 hole in each and that seems to work fine but would it be better to close the holes or make ports?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2740
I don't completely understand you're question, but a sealed box, has better sq in general, and a bigger bandwidth.
A ported box is better for spl, you can gain 2/3 DB's going from sealed, to ported. There are different ports, because each will tune it different... like what type of music you listen to. For spl purposes, people usually tune higher, around 45/50HZ, and for deep low bass, 27/35HZ is best.
Thats just a quick run down of boxes, I'm not that good with boxes, so someone else may go more in to it.

astrosafari
Unregistered guest
i thought u just throw in some subs and boxes some amps cd player make it work, play with it for a bit and thats it but this stuff gets really really technical like.. 2/3 DB's, spl, 45/50HZ, 27/35HZ,and sq. i dont now what any of that means.

Bronze Member
Username: Quickshot

Post Number: 11
gaining 3dbs going from sealed to ported is like doubling the power...about 6dbs is twice as loud
SQ=SOund Quality
SPL=SOund Pressure Level(basically the loudness)
the frequency of a ported box depends on the length of the port so the longer the port the lower the frequency which means the deeper the bass

FREE ICE,CHRIS, AND QUICK SHOT

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2748
Just stay on this forum, and read every post, and you'll get the hang of it. I didn't know what all this ment either.
A good site to get the basics is www.bcae1.com
and just to give you an idea of HZ's, or different frequencies, go to www.realmofexcursion.com go to downloads, and download some sweeps, and test tones. Then you can get an idea of what 20HZ/50HZ sounds like.
Oh, anything below 20HZ isn't audoble to the human ear, and anything abuv 20000HZ as well.
You could just throw a CD player, subs, amp, box, and speakers in, but if you want a good sounding system, with out getting fucked out of money, knowing this will make it easier in the long run.:-) lol

Bronze Member
Username: John8x12

Post Number: 51
Keep it simple.

Holes in the box (ported) is louder bass.

No holes in the box (sealed) is better sounding bass, but it isn't as loud.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9166
astro, read up on the differences between sealed and ported boxes here:
education is power.

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us