Another polyfill thread.

Anonymous

When you add one pound of polyfill per cu. ft to a box, how many cu. in or cu. ft of airspace does it make the sub think it's getting?

Anonymous

Also, how does polyfill actually make the subwoofer thinks it's getting more airspace? Why couldn't you use... say... carpet?

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 292
Use the damn search button.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 618
here u go.. https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/search.pl?stype=s&sopts=1&smethod=0&scase =0&slookin=1&nnumber=3&units=1440&where=all&squery=polyfill
..about a million questions on polyfill that took all of 20 sec to find

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA United State...

Post Number: 558
I hope the admin hurries up and gets those stickies

Bronze Member
Username: Homsardude

Post Number: 19
After reading all those Poly-Fil topics I still have a small question. Glasswolf said to break it apart so it's light and fluffy, but other people are saying to staple it to the walls and stuff. I just did what I thought I was supposed to and stuffed 1lb/ft^3 in my enclosure all broken up and light. I'm sure it must be touching my sub, is this a bad thing?

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
Well polyfil is a non coductive material so it will not let current travel if that was what your worried about. But if your worried about frying your vc and starting a fire that is another subject. Im sure you can figure out what would happen on that note.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 365
Or having it sucked into the motor structure, I can't imagine that woudl turn out too well.

For putting it in the enclosure, break it up so it is light and fluffy and use the stuff that's thicker than chicken wire (I can't recall the name) and screw the mesh to the walls.

I'll make a diagram for you in a few seconds.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 366
Upload

When you place it, you don't want the polyfill so close to the port. It will change the tuning frequency. It was a quick sketch, don't blame me.

Bronze Member
Username: Homsardude

Post Number: 20
Thanks for the drawing! I have a sealed enclosure though, so I don't have to worry about the tuning frequency. So I should use the polyfill that comes in a roll to make a wall thingy then? Or is this 'chicken wire' like stuff something else entirely?

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
Yeah not doubt. If you put it to close with ever low note you hit youll have white sh1t blowing out the port. It would be funny to see but thats about it.

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 165
Here's what worked for me:

I read alot of differnet articles on this subject and I found that some people say staple or glue but even more just say stuff it in there using the 1 lb. per cubic foot method. So what I did was line the sides and bottom with edead to help stop vibrations, then used 3m super 77 spray adhesive to coat the whole inside of the box minus my spring cup terminal :P and then lined the sides with polyfill 1" sheets that i found at michaels arts and crafts. I then stuffed my 1.5 cu ft. box with 1 lb. of pollyfill batting found at the same place. I also noticed that because my sub was bolted to a carpeted box that ever time i pushed on the cone when sealed it would move alot , so air was escaping under the mounting rim between sub and carpet(this is what i get using a q-logic prefabbed box). So i used 150 temp. black modeling clay and ran a small bead around the bottom of my sub's mounting rim and bolted it back in place,thus creating an airtight seal.Now i cant move my sub's cone at all practically. I cant believe the sound difference it made, way cleaner for a 15" and its even louder now too. In my application it made a night and day difference.

Anonymous

Obviously no one even read my question. I went through all the threads in search thank you very much Oso... Read my question again. When you add one pound of polyfill per cu. ft to a box, how many cu. in or cu. ft of airspace does it make the sub think it's getting? Also, how does polyfill actually make the subwoofer thinks it's getting more airspace? Why couldn't you use... say... carpet?

Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 10
All of that has been answered before, so why do you keep asking those questions? Carpet would make the sub think the box is actually smaller.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 623
polyfill makes the box seem bigger because it slows the soundwaves down giving them more time to form as a bigger box would.. carpet is just to much mass and would block it all together
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us