Sub recommendation

Username: Koojo

Post Number: 1
I'm planning on buying the new 12" Alpine Type R sub, because two of my past JL W3 subs have blown due to their SHITY design. As you know, they are dual voice coil, and come in both 2+2ohms and 4+4ohms. I currently have a Kenwood 600w amp, but I don't think that it will give the sub enough juice. SO, I'm planning on buying the Alpine MRD-M1005 mono amp. The specs for this amp are:

1000W x 1 RMS (2ohm, 14.4V, 1% THD+N)
700W x 1 RMS (4ohm, 14.4V, 1% THD+N)
Max. 1.800W x 1

SO, my main question is, should I get the 2+2ohm sub or the 4+4ohm sub? If I get the 2+2, then I could run it in 4ohms and 1ohm right? Since the amp doesnt support 1ohm, I'd have to run it in 4ohms and get about 700rms. If I get the 4+4 ohm sub, I could run it in 2ohm or 8ohm. With 2ohms I could get around 1000rms. SO, what do you guys think. With what I understand, I should rather go with the 4+4ohm sub. But, should I maybe just consider getting another amp which does support 1ohm load? There are so many options, and I just need some guidance. Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA United State...

Post Number: 531
If you get that amp, get the dvc 4ohm sub. If not find a 1 ohm stable amp and get the dvc 2ohm sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Cnc837

Norman, OK USA

Post Number: 43
You would want to get the 2+2 Ohm subs so you could wire them in parallel/series as shown in the link below to be able to run the amp at 2 ohms. This way you will get 1000 watts rms at 2 ohms rather than 700 watts rms if you ran it at 4 ohms. I have the same series amp from alpine and have two 2 ohm subs. Use this link and you can see the different ways to wire any combination of subs. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=15&image.y=6

Bronze Member
Username: Cnc837

Norman, OK USA

Post Number: 44
Sorry, I guess I was assuming you were getting 2 subs. You are right, you can only wire 1 2+2ohm sub at 1 and 4 ohms. So for one sub, take Iceman's advice.

Post Number: 3
Ya, I'm getting just one 12" sub. Wiring the pos-pos, neg-neg is called parallel right? Is this a common way to wire subs? I read somewhere that this way heats up the amp much quicker than series. Well anyway, I have no choice but to wire it in parallel anyway, haha. Also, do you think it's fine to run 1000rms to the Type R sub? It's rated at 500rms and 1500max.

Oh ya, since I would need to connect pos-pos, neg-neg, and then pos-amp and neg-amp, can I just put two wires inside one of the prongs on the sub, or should I splice into the wires?

Silver Member

Post Number: 545
That's the only way you can wire it in parallel. Yes it does heat the amp up more because it is providing more current with less resistance. (good thing) I think the type r can take it as long as you don't turn the gains up.

Post Number: 4
Is there a way to adjust the gains perfectly? I figure it would have to do with distortion

Silver Member

Post Number: 547
yes, but you will need a dmm, and an oscilliscope to set them perfectly. Or you can do it by ear, although it won't be perfect.

Post Number: 5
Great, thanks guys, you've been a lot of help.

One more question. Seems like I can get an Alpine MRD-M1005 amp on ebay for about $360 shipped. Is there any other amp I should look into for that kind of money, or should I just stick with this one?

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 290
You can not use your gain as a sort of volumn control. RMS is RMS. there is no way around it. You are better off wiring your sub to 4ohm to get closer to the RMS rating. If you run your sub with 1000Rms you are eventually going to blow it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
True, but it depends on the box too. So she can run it in a really small sealed box and it should be fine. Its not going to put out a true 1000 watts anyway. Kahren, if you feel that the sub is hot after your done listening to it, you need to wire it to 4 ohms.

Post Number: 6
Well I'm just using a regular Q-logic box. I guess I should probably run a little less power to the sub. I want my sub to sound great, but I also don't want to blow it quickly. Seems like around 500-700rms will be perfect for one 12" sub. SO, on this note, should I look into another sub, maybe one that's perhaps a little cheaper, that will support that kind of RMS and max power of that sub (1500w)?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us