Glass

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 673
just got off the phone w/Sound Stream regarding the two VGA1600.2. i am currently running each of my two subs 2ohm stereo w/800 watts/VC. 1amp/sub.
i was sending the brahmas back to adire to change the DVC to 4ohm so that i could wire each sub 4ohm stereo 400/VC or 800/sub total.
According to SS, a stereo signal is harder on the sub b/c they work best with one channel as opposed to the R/L.

Question- would it be best to change the VC to 4ohm, but utilize only one amp powering both subs 1600watts@ 4ohm mono, or keep each amp pushing a dedicated sub (for attenuation purposes) with 400watts/VC?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9119
well, it's easier to use one amplifier for both subs.. :-)
less space, less heat, easier wiring, less work to balance both amps/subs together, etc..
simpler is better

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 687
thanks. found out that it would also end up damaging the sub because each voice coil would be battling for which signal to play (L or R). since they are more than likely not going to be identical. i just figured that frquencies that low would be basically a mono signal regardless of how it is wired.
I'm going to maintain both amps, but switch it up and run 4ohm mono to each sub. hopefully that will make the difference. and be more careful setting the gain this time.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9155
anything below about 250H is mono. stereo separation is only used for vocal ranges and above where it's audible.
you're not going to run inot any real issues with a stereo amp running one channel to each coil.
it's been done that way for years by some people without any issues.

but hey, never hurts to be safe
I have one stereo amp per DVC sub myself and I run both amps bridged for the subs.
(dual 2 ohm coils)

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 689
that's what i thought. as you know i already have the false floor cut for both 1600's, so i'm trying my hardest to utilize both of them. plus, the 701 has the feature to alternate bewtween L sub, R sub, and both subs. also wanted to keep this feature for personal and sq comp. further, i don't want to give up my bramharas (unique) for a comparable sub that handles greater power. spoiled i guess.
the problem starts when you have the amps before the subs, like you said. i swapped out a pair of 4ohms that were perfect for one of the amps. then i got the 2ohm brahmas and that threw it all off. trying to get it all straight.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us