I need more thump

Username: Jimbo991

Post Number: 2
Hey guys. All right, so I just got these new 6x9's installed and they sound great but I need more thump out of them. I know they're capable of thumping pretty heavy because at some portions of some songs, I can feel it. However, when I merely go to turn up the bass through my HU, instead of more thumping, I just get a loud, annoying, humming vibration sound. This sound is replicated by ALL my speakers however and the sound almost completely deteriorates in the front speakers. How do I get the max thump out of my 6x9's without ruining the sound of my front speakers and/or drowning out the whole rest of the car?

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 514
an amplifier

Post Number: 3
any suggestions as to what kind? Brand/wattage/special features? Also, will this simply increase the "volume" of the speakers or will it produce more "thump" (in case you didn't understand what I meant by thump, I meant that heart pounding sensation you feel whenever there's a sharp bass kick)?

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 658
what kind of 6X9s do you have..as in what brand and rms....an amplifier will make them louder but you cannot forget that 6X9s are just a cheap excuse for subwoofers and if your looking for "thump"(hate that word) then you need a subwoofer...personally i wouldnt run 6X9s at all they have lower sound quality than round speakers and i have my sub for bass

Post Number: 4
I've got Alpine SPR-69LP's 275W Peak (55W RMS)... they sound great right now and really complement the sound of the car... just need more (sorry) "thump".

Bronze Member
Username: Livinloud7

Post Number: 39
Look around for an amp that is about 60Wx4 or so. That "thump" that you are looking for, prolly aint coming out of some 6x9's. If you dont want something 2 big , get a pair of 10's.

Post Number: 5
All right, here are my inhibitions about subs. My first is the added expense of purchasing one and the amp to power it (I've spent $500 so far just replacing my factory unit/speakers... that's a pretty huge deal for me). The second is that I think it sounds retarted when those dudes go driving around in cadillacs with their trunks rattling, vibrating the entire surrounding area. All I really want is a good thud that I can feel in my seat that resonates through my chest. The third, is that I'm afraid that once I buy an amp, whatever I power with the amp will be SO loud that it drowns out the remaining speakers. So, you still think 10's are the way to go here? Would it be possible to just somehow fit a wide (but not very tall) box under each seat with the speakers facing upward to give me that thump or will that ruin the acoustics?

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 664
if i was you i would get a single 10" or maybe even a 12" thats more geared towards SQ and with a low rms so you dont have to spend alot of money buying an amp for it...get a Infinity Reference/Kappa/Perfect depending on how your price range is..those subs have great SQ and require little power (300-400rms) and look for MTX or Kicker amps that are within the power range of the susb and those 6X9s since those are probably 2 of the best amp brands for the price especially off Ebay

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 520
just get a rockford punch P4004...its 50 x4 rms @ 4 ohms...$170 shipped off ebay...and get a good RCA cable...stinger expert...its $40 but well worth it...clear as a bell...screw the sub...i can see that thats not what your looking for...juss get a 4channel amp and a good rca cable...that'll give you some good thump.

Post Number: 6
Wow, thanks for those in-depth responses guys... I've been looking at amps per your recommendation(s) and I have a few questions that you may be able to answer. A few of them have an RMS rating for 4 channels at a certain impedance and then a different (usually higher) RMS rating for 2 channels at a higher impedance. I understand the concept that when you place two circuit segments 'in series' with one another, the impedances act like resistances in that they add and (if configured the right way) the power will add also, however I'm sorry to say that I do not know what effect this has on SQ or performace in relation to audio. I was wondering if you might be able to explain to me what to look(out) for when checking the specs on impedances for these amps.

On another note, when they add two channels together, they call it a "bridge" I think. What I'm wondering is if this "bridge" is an actual output port on the amp itself or if it's telling you the response if you were to manually "bridge" the two channels together.

Finally, I noticed that subs are rated for different impedances. Do they run differently at different impedances or is that just for versatility among amplifiers?

Thanks again guys and sorry if these questions sound a little stupid, I'm just trying to learn all this so I can get it down.

Post Number: 7
All right, I read some really good informative threads that explained the whole crossover/impedance thing to me... I've got it now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us