Quesion about effects of vehicle on sound.

Username: Kris_p

Houston

Post Number: 1
I have long preferred a sealed enclosure over ported, and maybe that's because I've only heard the cheap ported enclosures w/ lots of port noise, but it has a lot to do with the tighter sound a sealed box (IMO)has.

Previously I have always had a vehicle w/ a trunk and had the sub against the rear seat facing towards the trunk opening. (wrong or right, don't know). Now I have a small to mid-size SUV with a pretty good cargo area. I remember when I was in high school putting my equipment in a friends hatchback when he bought it how much louder it seemed (something to do w/ bouncing off the hatch glass and pushing the sound towards the front of the car).
Can I expect a similar effect in this new SUV? Will the sealed box "seem" louder because I'm closer to the sound? Dos the sound actually get "bounced" up to the front of the vehicle?
Just looking for a single 10 or 12 for no more than $150

Thanks for any info.

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 394
I think it will sound louder since the sub isn't in an enclosed space, allowing the sound to travel throuout the interior cabin without interruption.

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1074
No it resonates which i guess is kinda like bouncing if you must. Yeah it should.

Username: Kris_p

Houston

Post Number: 2
Well, I knew bounced wasn't the word, but I didn't know the technical term.

Any suggestions on the sub. My amp puts out 500WRms at 2ohm, half that at 4ohms.

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 398
Eclipse aluminum 12" 8000 series.

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 349
For $150?
"Just looking for a single 10 or 12 for no more than $150"

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 184
Hey, you guys, what about resonating off the back windshield if the windshield is part of a convertible top? I mean, I know it won't be as good as in a hatchback or suv (for example), but what about on the back seat facing back toward the back windshield like Kris P had mentioned? (In a mustang convertible - by the way) Would it be louder than in the trunk? Bass decent?
Thanks.

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 429
149 + shipping http://www.electronicgiant.net/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=111&pro ducts_id=1159
I don't think it will have as big as an impact because the convertibles top is soft and flexible. We all know what that does to sound

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Well, in my trunk, when I put the top down, it REALLY muffles the sound. I hate it like that!!!
Currently, the sub is placed on the floor board of the passenger side feet area - facing forward, toward the engine... that's the best that I could think of. What's something better to do?

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 430
You could cut a hole in the rear deck or below the seat, to allow the sound to move through the cabin, but I'm sure you don't want to do that. The mustang does have a rear deck right? That's the only thing I can think of.

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Well, it's got like a really thick fiberglass type material molding that seperates the trunk from the back seat. The top tucks away between it and the back seat when it's dropped.
Hey, I once heard GlassWolf use the term "kickback" plates or something like that. Is that like something I can place as a solid lining all around the passenger foot area surround, point it at that, and then eliminate the problem of absorbing the sound?

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 434
Never heard of it. Sounds like the opposite of dynamat.

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
I'm probably using the wrong term. Yeah, for sure I am. Anyway, if i lined the floor area there in front before facing the sub to it, would that help increase my decibel level?

Any suggestions would be great!!!!

Anonymous

I kick plate maybe, not a kickback plate. But those are for mounting door speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us