DLS Iridium vs Alll others

Bronze Member
Username: Schnizo

Post Number: 13
I can get the Iridium 6.2 at $550. Is that a good price. Is there a better set at that price point. Should I get the 6.3 for $625. Is there that big a difference. It will be going a 2005 F-250 crew cab. There will be 2 10's in the center consel?

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 653
my vote is for the 3ways. i love mine, and those 3" mids are wonder workers. cetainly worth 75.00 considering they are 100.00 each from dls america (at least according to penny who seems to be the only one who works there).

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 654
http://www.roadgearmag.com/article.asp?section_id=11&article_id=598&page_number= 1
also, here is a dls set up w/ tens in the console as well. its an f-150 though.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9051
3 ways are difficult to position for good imaging, and quite frankly trucks suck for good signal path distances already so you'll have a nightmare of a time getting good results with those. stick to simple 2 way systems in a pickup unless you want to spend days fiberglassing and testing positioning etc.. and maybe still never get a good result.

Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL United States

Post Number: 4
i would recommend mounting the midranges in the dash, the tweeters in the a-pillars facing the windshield, and you know where to put the woofers

Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL United States

Post Number: 5
if you go with the 3-way setup, i mean

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 655
you could get them online at ebay:
http://electronics.search.ebay.com/dls_Car-Speakers-Speaker-Systems

but i would contact Scott Buwalda at http://buwaldahybrids.com/
that way, if there is any problem, you can always have them replaced with warranty. plus he is on point and can walk you through everything if need be. DLS america is As backwards and are quite reluctant to speak w/anyone who purchases online. plus the dude (penny) has no idea what he is talking about. he will just refer you to Scott anyway.

also, these highend speakers are very much more fragile than your average drivers. particularly if you cross them actively (electronically without the supplied passive xovers) you have to have someone who knows what they are doing before you install them. i have gone through quite a bit with some problems I had with my first set. received them back from warranty repair after more than two months "no problem detected."
"3 ways are difficult to position for good imaging"
certainly true. i just can't imagine those 6.5's reproducing nearly the same beauty as the 3".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
How fragile are they how long will they last? Is there something else in that price range that is as good or close?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 657
not like that at all. i feed my drivers 140 watts EACH (140x6) and they love it. they play clean and clear with absolutely no distortion. and i'm a very aggressive listener.
what i meant, for example, is if you cross the mid below 315 hz or cross it with less than an 18db slope, you will be more than likely to damage it. they come with excellent xovers though, so that won't be a problem. but you still need to take the time to tune/eq it properly like glass suggested. again, a good reason to just consider the 2-ways.
there are the other high ends though: focal, dynaudio, morel, cdt, seas, rainbow, mb quart... jonathan is more than experienced with the lot of them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
is $550 a good price for the 6.2 Acording to dls us car stereo is a dealer? i've heard nothing but good things about these speakers. I have focal polyglass right now but I'm looking to upgrade

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4388
If I went two way and wanted a smooth, warm sound, I'd look at Dynaudio or Rainbow. The DLS two ways are very good, no issues, but the 6.5" is a little dark in the upper midrange region and IMO the Dynaudios and Rainbows handle it better. Focals and MB Quarts are more for dynamics and more aggressive detail (punchy midbass, sharper tweeter).

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 119
I know where to get 6.2's for $475. My Aim is desertrat1981 if anyone is intereswted I think the 8.3 are only like ~ $650

I like my 6.2's in my truck I have the woofers in the doors and Tweeters in the Dash, the imaging is great with Eclipse T-align, I doubt it could get much better. The midbass is impressive for 6.5's it vibrates my rear view alot even after 2.7 rolls of RAAMAT deadening the truck.

Another member on this forum had some CDT 6.3 and was impressed with the midbass from my 6.5's in the doors in stock location. I'm glad I stuck with 2 ways as everythign looks hidden and factory. The CDT's sounded good but he had a real lack of midbass and he had custom pods for everything, At the top of the door for the 6.5's and mids and tweeters in pods on the dash. Midbass was night and day difference.

I listened to another gy who had 8.3's he was also impressed with the way the 6.2's sounded in my Titan, his imaging was not as good and it subtracted from the overall sound, but he did the best he could in his tiny car I doubt he could have had it much better. They still sounded damn good though. The biggest advantage he had was a bit more midbass with the 8 inch.

In the end I'm glad I did not go with 3 ways for my application beacuse the 6.2's image nicely for having the tweeters and mids so far apart. if I went with 6.3 I would not have been able to maintain the factory stealed appearance and I doubt I would have noticed much difference any ways.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us