Jonathan/Glass-DLS 6.5 resonance?

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 651
i had a suboptimal install of my 6.3s and so i figured the drivers were damaged during the process. i purchased a second set as backups in case something similar occured w/my other drivers. i put the new 6.5 in myself and the same maracca type resonance occured.

again, my installer was a tad short in aptness, so i am not certain as to the volume of the box. i know that he said it was a bit small, so he placed filler inside to accomodate. the DLS specified volume is 6liters (.21 cuft). i don't know really how to calculate it in this enclosure. is it too small?
assistance is appreciated. the sound isn't really audible when the other drivers are playing, but when isolated they sound like sand has been sprinkled on them. i figure i will be able to tell a significant difference though, once the prob is fixed. this occurs regardless of xover point. they are currently at 40hz w/30db slope.
thanks
[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/mikechec9/completedoor.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/mikechec9/podsearly3.jpg[/IMG]

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9052
did you try the 6.5 as an infinite baffle/open back?
see if that helps
not all 6.5" work in an enclosed space very well.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 656
ironic. i noticed that the holes that the wires ran through were not sealed. i figured this would be fine since most 6.5 are infinite baffle anyway. turns out that this is more than likely (hopefully) the culprit.
the website specified the 6liter sealed volume for door panels, so i suspect these would be 61/2s that sound good sealed. i'll eventually (before it gets cold again) seal the holes and get back w/the result.

bad day again. was installing my XM tuner today and set my false floor panel on the passenger side of my truck. of course, i forgot about it, reversed, ran over it. have to revinyl it and cut the plexi all over (myself this time). although it keeps getting worse, it still could have been worse. + perfect practice makes perfect, i guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us