Looking for really good head unit........

Bronze Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 20
i don't want to have to break into the 401k to get it, but anywhere from $200 to $300. i was gonna go with alpine, but man that thread with everyone having problems with alpine and alpine is too dam ugly anyways. i want quality sound and i want to be able to hook up an ipod to it without compromising sound quality. how about pioneer. i like this one.

2076_4041_76829766%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detai l/0,,2076_4041_76829766,00.html
and maybe with this.
2076_2007714_192089315%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/d etail/0,,2076_2007714_192089315,00.html
thanks for your input.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PREMIER-DEH-P8MP-CD-MP3-XM-Remote-FREE-BONUS_W0QQite mZ5794312041QQcategoryZ39752QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the pioneer ipod link Pioneer CD-IB100. sorry coundn't get link to work for that....

i hope those work, lol........

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 131
Pioneer is a good way to go. If you want the better SQ? you'll need the 860. If more fuction with the Ipod is what you need than the P8mp will work.

Bronze Member
Username: Halby

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 88
Kenwood excelon line (x889 for one) makes a good HU with a very good iPod interface if you want another option.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 102
The best deck for both right now for sound in general and sound on Ipod is the Kenwood KDC-MP828,or the Kenwood X889.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1370
Kenwood? This guy wants reliability...even the excelon series is junk, heheh. I agree with Benny Boy that Pioneer is going to be the best headunit for him if he doesn't want Alpine(most of their recall problems have been fixed).

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
I've played with the curent HU's with Ipod adapters and they ALL SUCK!! I would change brands if someone would allow me to contol the music with the Ipod and still interface with the HU. The newer Pioneer's are better but still not all that great. I played with a Kenwood and my Ipod and found it was no better or worst than the others. Plus Kenwood has always been kinda crummy when it comes to quality. If you want good SQ, I'd go Pioneer, Eclipse, Alpine. If you need a build quality than I'd say : Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer. I have very limited use of Eclipse, I've never owned one but have heard three different models(they all sounded nice but I felt they were feature less and price at twice what they were worth. Just my 2 cents! And I would rate Panasonic higher than Kenwood in everyway. I've seen way to many dead Kenwood's compared to any other brand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1374
"And I would rate Panasonic higher than Kenwood in everyway. I've seen way to many dead Kenwood's compared to any other brand."

Agreed!

Have you tried the Clarion iPod adaptor? I was thinking about buying one, apparently it will display all song title info+let me control volume etc from the headunit. It looks like it won't let me use the iPod controls once it is hooked up to the headunit according to what you have said...I'm not so sure if that's a bad thing as long as the headunit does the basics i.e. volume, track change etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Have not tryed the Clarion. The ones I've seen all display the info and let you control the Ipod, there just really slow. I think it will be the main issue with all HU's ontil someone make a HU designed to interface with the pod. Apple HU??? I know two folks that have installed a Mac Mini in there rides with good outcomes.

http://tunertricks.com/blog/index.php?p=40

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 225
What about Eclipse?? No ipod thing but who cares! I love my cd5425. It only cost me 220 after shipping on ebay brand new!! And it has very good sq.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
There nothing special about the low end Eclipse. And as far as you comment {No ipod thing but who cares!} I for one care! Having every CD I've ever owned at my finger tips real nice.
Also, when I'm on a date and I ask her, what would you like to hear?
The night is that much better when I push afew buttons and she hearing her favorite songs.

Are you an Ipod Hater? If so please call 1-800-HelpMee.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1376
The people (for the most part) I have seen who own iPods had it bought for them (usually by parents). Not a bad thing, but they don't appreciate them as much as if they would have bought it themselves!

iPods are awesome, yes, I own one and had to pay for it! The minimalistic scheme and high storage capacity make them a great deal! And the internal amplifier in them isn't all too bad! They power my Pioneer HDJ-1000s nicely!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
thanks for the input. i think i'll go with the pioneer DEH-P8MP. i like the look, pioneer is a good brand and the reviews i'm seeing are pretty darn good. i guess all the ipod adapters seem to be pretty flawed for now.

Bronze Member
Username: Suthurnlatino

Post Number: 28
The only thing I don't like about the 8MP is the one knob thing. I got one today for a friend for $250, the 860MP was going for $320. If it was for me I'd go for higher end because of the more equalizer settings.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1424
Yeah, definitely...the rotary knob has too many functions, not sure how it would be for everyday driving.

grease
Unregistered guest
Becker units are good, i bought one!! But they don't play MP3's, unless you buy something off ebay that lets you play them through your radio...

Nakamichi are the best in my experience...why not buy a nakamichi or Becker that plays MP3's and burn all your songs onto there?

If the Ipod adaptor is external, it could be a sign for theives...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us