I guess i'm not getting the subs after all.

Bronze Member
Username: Mbenz10

Post Number: 16
I am gettin told too much different carp about the installation and all. i just don't see how complicated it is to hook up two subs and an amp to an already existing stereo even if its a bose one. Not cutting any wires ....ect. and just hook it up to the exisiting one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Oh i was also told if i bought the alpine 10' type R's that i need to go with the alpine amps and that i have to buy a new head unit. That the one in my mercedes won't do. So is that true or what the heck is going on someone please explain.

Bronze Member
Username: Proks

Post Number: 34
well it would work without it, but who told u it wouldnt a sale dude.... like with a HU(head unit) and the amps it will be better. I know ur not looking to compeat in comps or anything, but the HU makes a differecne n so do amps and wireing and boxes n what not lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I wana keep the HU and just add the damn subs. I'm probably gona switch from Alpine over to Rockford and get their amp and stuff. Still don't know where to hook it up and install since i don't feel like paying $200 for installation.

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1045
you will need an adapter in order to use a stock radio.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 592
of course u dont have to buy and alpine amp.. and u could more than likely use your factory HU.. the quality just wont be as good as an aftermarket one.. dont quote me on this but there are adapters to hook up whatever u need from your factory HU to an amp.. Also JL audio makes something called Clean sweep.. sorta "ups" the quality of your HU so i hear. but myself i dont know what it is or how it does it lol just some thoughts

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 330
You don't have to buy a new hu, will be alot easier to install your amp with one, though. If you are going to use your stock hu, your going to need a line out converter (loc), unless your stock hu has rca preouts. Your going to have to take the + and - speaker wires, attach them to the loc. Then your going to have to splice the wires to go back to the speakers. Then run the rca out from the loc to the amp and there you go... its easier to tell you to get a new hu.

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 331
damn Mark got to it first. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
the head unit i got in there is the big navigation screen that's standard on mercedes ml models 2001 and up and that thing costs like $600. So would be kinda pointless to buy a new one that is less of quality.

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 334
Isn't the navi screen on the benz part of it's computer system too?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
See that's my point i don't wana screw all that up by just adding subs. And i don't know how to add some subbs and not screw anything up in the car.

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 336
Mark has a pretty good idea. Get the JL cleansweep http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=2858
or this http://www.jlaudio.com/ecs/aicsw.html
btw woofersetc is kind of high, so you should be able to find the cleansweep alot cheaper.

Bronze Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 67
Not sure exactly what car you have, but the problem with a lot of the newer cars, and especially higher end cars is that so many things are integrated into the HU. A lot of car's actually use their radio's as part of the PCM. Another problem is Amplified speakers, where a mini amp is mounted on each speaker. Some car's even use completely different signal than basic HU's - they sometimes use a digital signal back to the factory amp, via fiber optics or other wiring.

This becomes a big issue because the input signal is not the same going into aftermarket amps. Or that you can not amplify the speakers because of integrated amps. Like I said, I don't know exactly what car you have so I can not say exactly why you would or would not be able to do this.

Aftermarket subwoofers require an amplifier. So either way you would need an amp, whether or not your stock HU has preouts, or a regular amp, or fiber optics, etc. I don't know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us