Keep blowing fuses!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Qcsfinest

Post Number: 63
i just installed my 2 w6's powered by the jl 1000/1 and it works for about 2 minutes and then when i turn it up it cuts off and the fuse is has blown 3 times? I checked the connections and everything looks right.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 992
the fuse whero n your amp or the fuse on your power line

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
power line

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 993
hmm one thing i can think of is the 1000/1 is pulling more power than your fuse can handle..WHat size fuse do you have on your power line?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3409
The fuse in your power line should be the same size as the total fuse amps on your amplifier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
not sure how to tell. it came in a Q power 4 guage wire kit. it says 60a at the top

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 995
there's you problem right there..That fuse is way to small for that amp..Look on your jl amp and find out how many amperage they are all together...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
just went to check every connection and saw that when i put the seat up in my jeep it caught the ground wire. so its a small cut in it. it looks like i cut a very small piece of the wire. could this be why im blowing so many fuses?

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1019
Its possible, use some black electrical tape to patch it up and eliminate that possible problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Apocalypse, dont know what your asking. all i know is its a 1000/1, looked but didnt see any fuses on the amp.

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 996
soory for the bad wording...yeh thats a possible reason...but do you have the amp manual for the 1000/1 amp..it should say how many amps for the fuse you should use on your power line.

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 997
ok nvm i went to the jlaudio site and downloaded the manual...the problem is that you need a 100amp ANL fuse on your line not a 60amp fuse.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
nah, I bought it from this guy i met.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1022
100? isn't that alittle high? I think 70 would be alright.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1023
Actually if I remember correctly... Perry reccomends trying a smaller fuse first then if it still blows then moving to a higher rating. Let me refresh my memory.

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 999
yeh thats what i thouht..but a 100amp ANL fuse is what jl audio recomends.

Silver Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 1000
yeh but i would rather save my money and go with 1 fuse..lol yeh 1000 posts:-)

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1025
Got IT

"Note on Blown Fuses

When a fuse blows (even one that has been perfectly capable of handling the current requirements of a given piece of equipment), many people will replace it with a fuse of equal size without thinking (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Then, if it instantly blows again, they go to the next larger fuse size (now, that IS a bad thing). They don't think for a minute that the fuse that just blew was the same as the one that worked fine for a long time. They don't think that something just might have changed which is now causing the amplifier to pull significantly more current.

If you have a piece of equipment (especially an amplifier) that has played fine for a while with a given size fuse and the fuse blows, do not replace it with a larger fuse. I'd actually suggest temporarily replacing it with a fuse ~1/2 the rating of the one that blew. If you have a 200 watt amplifier that's been running fine with a 30 amp fuse and the fuse suddenly blows, replacing it with another 30 amp fuse is fine but I'd suggest trying a 15 amp fuse first. With the volume set to its minimum position, the amp should power up and idle with the smaller (lower rated) fuse. It should also play cleanly at a low to moderate volume. If the fuse blows with no volume, there is very likely a problem with the amplifier. If it does not play cleanly, there may be a problem with the speaker(s) or wiring. If it blows the fuse at very low volume, there is most likely a shorted speaker or a short in the wiring.

For amplifiers... What happens many times is that a component fails (often an output transistor) and the fuse blows. Since the fuse has likely been passing a fair amount of current (remember, the amplifier was playing loud enough to fail) the fuse's element was at a higher than ambient temperature and allowed the fuse to blow relatively quickly. When you insert a new (cool) fuse, it will take more to blow it even if it was identical to the one that originally blew. If the power supply components in the amp are operating at the upper end of their safe operating area (common with budget amplifiers), the new fuse might not blow before the power supply components (remember that the amplifier probably has a shorted output transistor). If the power supply components are destroyed (along with the output transistors), the repair bill may be significantly higher (maybe $100 instead of $60). Checking to make sure that everything is OK with the smaller fuse will assure you that no more damage is done."

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1026
You don't need an ANL fuse thats BS they just say that because thats the only type of fuse they carry.

IMO, A fuse is a fuse.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1027
Just as a side note: A fuse does not always allow the current it says it does. When it is cold, it will allow more then what it says. As it heats up it moves down more towards the actual rating.

More heat = more resistance which = less current flow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
ok goin to try trade my 60a for a 80a to see if it works b4 i pay all that money for the anl one

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1028
Did you like not read all the crap I just posted?

Gold Member

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 1001
yeh you're right mike a fuse is a fuse..i just quoted what jl audio said

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3411
I believe the 1000/1 has a fuse rating of 100 amps. If that's true, (you can just look at your amp), then put a 100 amp anl juse on your power line. It's not that complicated, and you don't have to keep dinking around with different fuse sizes. The best thing to do is match your inline fuse with the total fuse ratings for your amp(s). Anything else is retarted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
i read it but my buddy at the car shop was gonna give me some free 80a so i wanted to try it. ive spent so much on the system and i have to get my catalytic converter fixed on my car, i dont have the money to get that otha fuse you guys are talkin about.

-i can ride with it at 25 but if i turn it up it blows the 80a, so for now ill just keep it low and buy the otha fuse when i get money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Thanks guys, got the problem fixed. The fuses were to small so i gave my buddy at the car shop 10 dollars for a anl fuse holder and 150a fuse and it is working now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us