Why don't good companies make capacitors?

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 305
Ever thought of that one, prolly because the cheap companies like to rip people off. Has anyone ever heard of a RE capacitor, or even a Kicker or MTX capacitor? I don't think so.
This proves my point:
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/accessories/capacitors.htm

:-)

Silver Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 114
umm rockford fosgate-- or u can buy like duralst at autozone?? which is a very well known power reserve-- both for alternators and caps

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 200
Cris, go educate yourself.
BatCap
Alumapro
HarrisonLabs
...to name a few

Silver Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 116
seriously also that site u have has 0- i repeat 0 name brand products in all areas

why are u even looking there????

Anonymous

Caps are overated anyways They have real specific uses that they dont say on the box

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3404
Because the high end companies don't wanna waste their time making usless products. They're also not soley motivated to make money. Caps are a big money maker, because the general public has no idea what they REALLY do. Why do you think the crappy companies make such crappy products? Because they don't care about product quality, or their customers. They want to make the cheapest possible products, and sell as many as they can. Making money is all they are interested in, and caps are an easy way to get it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8968
harrison labs is good
battcap.. bleh
alumapro.. only thing they have going for them now is rainbow.. and lousy customer/dealer support.
RF is good but they bow to market pressure.. if it's bling, they'll sell it.

basically people want capacitors for whatever reason, and it's an easy way to supplement income since they cost next to nothing to make, and people pay $60-100+ for each one. high profit margin and little risk since they don't generally "fail" like amps and speakers do.

end result is that it's all about supply and demand, and money.

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 55
JL makes caps

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 201
No Glass, I disagree. Batcap's deserve more than a bleh. They alone suppy the power in many spl vehicles that draw well over 30,000watts rms. In fact they've powered a few vehicles that hold the world's highest ever recorded spl levels.
And Harrison, wow. You should call him up one of these days. Ask for Stan. One of the most insightful persons i've met. You'll enjoy speaking to him, although I can bet solar panels will be a main topic. He has gotten into some new technology, some that he himself is helping to create.
I will agree the 1 to 2 farad caps are nothing more than a marketing ploy but in actuality every system I have heard when a cap was added there was an improvment in sound quality. They do make a difference. Expecially larger capacitors. I use them in my spl vehicle.
The new generation of capacitor will start taking center stage in a few years. 50-200 farad banks no larger than a typical amplifier will be common place in trunks across the states.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8991
as I said, Harrison is good. and I have spoken with their lad engineer. He's a blast to chat with. The bleh about battcap is that all they do is pretty much make batteries.. it's not like they're a big audio manufacturer. They make electrical supplies in essence. Different catagory of company when he said "good companies" in relation to car audio.

as for caps though, high capacity caps have high ESRs which makes them essentially useless for audio. A lot of things are popular in the audio world, but it doesn't always make them the end all be all or even make them actually good.
Capacitors alone are a good example of that.

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 202
[b]A lot of things are popular in the audio world, but it doesn't always make them the end all be all or even make them actually good.[/b]

I concur, especially when talking about the music industry. Pop music.
As for the capacitor being "good"?, I would say over all they are helpful.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 642
is this record broken, or is it just me?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9006
use html < instead of the { from VB and EZboard :-) gotta get used to that.

yes caps are helpful, but there's a huge myth about what they can and can't do.. that was my point.

doing my bit to kill misinformation one headbanger at a time :P

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 797
"Power is being robbed from your audio system by less important things like: the engine, air conditioner and lights. This leaves your amplifier hungry for power on those big deep bass notes."

Did anybody else see that? lol made me laugh pretty hard

Silver Member
Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 117
so glasswolf what does the caps do, does it not just take the serge away from your alt. making it easy on it?

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1058
From what ive learned in electronics class a capaciter in a circuit cuts off power untill it is fully charged then releases the charge after it is full and just repeats the cycle. The larger the capacitor, The longer it wll take to charge and release. Ive done simple circuits with caps with little LED's and you could see the difference between the different sized caps, The bigger the cap in the circuit- the longer time inbetween blinks. The smaller, shorter time inbetween blinks.

So exactly how does a cap work in relationship to car audio if they are truly caps and actually do something.

How exactly do they release thier charge on command when needed.

The simple caps i worked with were tiny in comparison to car audio caps but they must be based on the same basic design or are they?

Now the ones i was working with were fractions of a farad, something like uF but i forgot the actual ratings. Now they were running on 12 volts, I would notice about 4-8 seconds inbetween blinks of the LED depending on what size they were. Now if a little tiny tiny cap takes that long to fully charge and discharge. Do you really think a huge car cap can actually charge up fast enough keep up with the beats in most songs?

I don't know if i stumbled on something to think about or not but i figured id somewhat brainstorm and see what someone else thought about it.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1059
And also im not to familiar with how caps are exactly hooked up in cars.

Is it just from battery to cap, Cap to amp?

Im not really sure since no one ever asks how to hook one up.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1060
If it is hooked up like that, I also see other reasons why a cap wouldn't work.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9021
the caps you used in class wer in series with the LED
in a car, they're wired in parallel with the power source and amplifier.

that'd be why the LED flashed, and the amplifier doesn't cut in and out rapidly with pulses of power :-)

as for the cap and alternator rigger, the cap will smooth demand spikes which puts less stress on the alternator but if voltage rails sag, the alternator is already overstressed to beyond it's limits.
I think I mentioned the ability to act as both an AC ripple and smoothing filter in my article on caps.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1061
Even wired in parallel I just don't see them working.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1062
How do you explain them being able to charge up fast enough and also them releasing thier charge when needed.

And wired in parallel that would mean that the amperage would be split in half between the amp and the cap. Which I doubt is a good thing and another reason why a cap would have even more trouble charging up and also robbing your amp of amperage. Is that correct?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9028
this could take a while.
it'd be easier if you just read up on capacitors
http://www.bcae1.com/capacitr.htm

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 722
I agree Wahl, that sentence was hilarious. Less important things like your engine.. heh.

Silver Member
Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 124
thanks glasswolf i get now for sure caps are ok but dont solve power problems!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us