What is the difference between sealed boxes and stuff please someone explain.

Username: Mbenz10

Post Number: 7
What is the difference between the sealed boxes and sql boxes or wahtever. I'm gettin 2 Alpine type R's and i was thinking of making just a simple normal wodden box... is there a prob. or what should i do.

mudbucket
Unregistered guest
where the heck is jon or john to explain this?
maybe BassmanMike or JoeSmoe

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 999
There is no such thing as a sql box. There are sealed,ported(also known as vented in some cases), and bandpass enclosures and some others that I won't bother to mention. Now what exactly do you want to know?

Bronze Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 84
Do you mean the difference between sealed and ported boxes and bandpass.? If you want a simple box go sealed and make it out of MDF and make it whatever cu ft the alpine recommends.

Post Number: 8
Yea i just want a simple box but also do u use calking on plexiglass because i want to put some neons into the box to make it a little more interesting and uniquer. How do u seal plexiglass to be airtight?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1000
If done right it will already be air tight. Dude your not gonna do this yourself are you? Believe me you really Don't wanna do it yourself leave it to the professionals.

muddywaters
Unregistered guest
BassManMike your needed in the Audiobahn or Hifonics thread

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 356
http://yu-ra.tripod.com/index_enc.htm

Post Number: 9
does everyone else think i should just buy one of those damn ugly factory boxes and put it in instead of making one myself. If its gona really be taht big of a problem me making it myself i'll rather buy it then even though they are ugly.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1003
What size type R are you getting and what is your budget?

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1004
sorry *Type R's*

Post Number: 10
i'm gettin 2 10' Type R's with two 1700 watt kenwood amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
budget for what though?

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1007
The budget for the enclosure, and please don't buy that amp till I take a look at it. What is the model # of the amp? also do you have any idea the differences between DVC 2 ohm or 4 ohm? It has to match up with the amplifier and all that. JUST BUY ANYTHING SO we can make sure you get what you need.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1008
lol, meant to say- Just don't go and go buy anything double check to make sure it will all work out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
These are the subbs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7057365&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03081&id=1108124880920

These are the amps.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6983106&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03087&id=1099388637322

I get a crap load of discout cuz i work at best buy so that's why i'm buyin it there.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1011
Just as a reminder, when looking at specs you look ar the RMS rating. The type R is 500 watts RMS.

The amp 500W RMS (continuous), bridged

500W RMS (continuous) @ 4 ohms

850W RMS (continuous) @ 2 ohms

Now That sub you showed me was DVC 4 ohm which can only be wired to 2 ohm or 8 ohm.

In order for it to work you need the the DVC 2 ohm model so you can get a 4 ohm load if you wanna use that amp. Because the Subs RMS is 500 and the amp puts out 500 watts @ 4 ohms bridged so if they don't carry DVC 2 ohm your out of luck for now.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 194
There is such a thing as an SQL enclosure.

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 195
a ballance between low, rich, deep sounding bass yet tuned high enough for spl.
I would consider a box tuned to 40-45 hz to be an sql box, (depending on the music and system's components)

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1012
Well yeah a box tuned to a certain Hz but not like part of the different classes of enclosures sealed, ported, etc. Type in "SQL enclosure" in google image search see what you can dig up.

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 196
Why would I do a google search on enclosures? I build them for a living lol.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1014
lol, you get the point. Or do you? lol

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 198
i think you need some sleep mike lol:-)

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1015
Yeah I do, In fact im going to sleep right now. Good night everybody. Well morning if you wanna be technical. :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Bronze Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 55
There are many different types of boxes you can build. The most simple being a sealed box, and the more complicated being ported, bandpass (many types), and a transmittion line.

First of all, you should know the basics of a speaker. There are 2 main kinds of woofers. A free air sub, and one that needs some type of accoustical suspension. The free air can be played in a door or other mounting place with no box. The other needs some type of enclosure to "control" the woofer so that it does not move to far out of its mechanical limits and "bottom out" which can do damage to the woofer. These subs move very freely and need something to slow them down in a sense.

A sealed box is the most simple design. It is very hard to screw one of these up. Like the name states, it is sealed. There are no ports/vents to control the driver. Think of a plastic soda bottle with the cap on. The harder you squeeze it the harder it becomes to squeeze. This is the same concept with a sealed box. As you know air (gases) can be compressed. The more air in an enclosure, the more it can be compressed easily. Therefore the volume of your sealed enclosure determines how easy it is for your subwoofer to move, or how much resistance it will put on your woofer. A larger box will make it easier to move and have lower frequency extensions. By making a larger enclosure however, you sacrifice power handling and generally get a "boomy" or "muddy" sound.

Another important thing to know about a sealed enclosure is Qtc. This is a mechanical property of the sub/box. Generally, most people like the sound of a box with a Qtc rating of .707 or more. This is a good range for very clean or accurate ("tight") bass. A rating lower than .707 gives better low frequency response but loses power handling and begins to sound "muddy" and "boomy".

Pro's:
Very good SQ (sound quality)
Good midbass reproduction
Easy to build
Safest for your woofer

Con's:
Lower SPL capability
Doesn't have lowest frequency extension

The next very popular type is a Ported enclosure. These are very common for many people for daily use, and especially competition use for many reasons. The ported enclosure is built similar to a sealed enclosure, except that it does not use the box for it's accoustical suspension (or pressure). Instead it uses a tube or square vent as a port. The combination of the size and length of the port, as well as the box are used to control the frequency response of the woofer. A smaller and longer port will slow down the rate the air is moving, the larger and shorter port will allow more air to move controlling the response of the woofer. They are very popular because you have more control over which frequencies your woofer will produce the best. It is almost always louder than a sealed box also. Best of all, you can get a much lower frequency response than a ported box. Everything seems to be much better than a sealed, except that it is much harder to design and build. It can also damage your woofer if designed improperly. Like I said, the port size determines a "tuning frequency". If you tune your box too high, your woofer has no power handling below that frequency because the port offers no resistance or "pressure". This allows your sub to move too far (past the xmax). this is most commonly refered to as the woofer being "unloaded". If you play these ultra low frequencies at higher volumes, you will do serious damage to your woofer as it bottoms out. If tuned properly, this should not be a problem, a subsonic filter is also a good idea. Another possible problem is "port noise". If your port has too small of area, you get too much velocity. Anything over a rate of 17m/s can cause port noise which can make a popping or whistling noise. This is not harmful to the sub though.

Pro's:
Much louder than sealed
Lower frequency reproduction
More tuning control
Very good for low, and midbass
Can be very good for SQ if designed right

Con's
Harder to design
Harder to build
Can be harmful if not designed right
Not quite as good for SQ

The other most common design is a Bandpass Enclosure. These were very common years ago (late 80's, early 90's) because they have a high gain in a range that sounds loud. They have lost their appeal in recent years though because they are extremely "boomy" and require some type of midbass driver to fill in the frequencies that the bandpass enclosure can not play. A bandpass enclosure has a very limited response and requires additional drivers to fill in the gaps. They are also the hardest to design and the hardest to build. There are MANY different types of bandpass enclosures. The most popular being the 4th order, and sometimes the 6th order bandpass. A 4th order uses 2 different chambers. The first chamber is sealed giving it better power handling, and the second chamber is ported controlling its frequency response. The 6th order also uses 2 different chambers, but both of them are ported. It usually has a very poor response and is usually only used for sound reinforcement, not high end SQ app's. As with a ported enclosure, it loses it's power handling under it's tuned frequency.

Pro's
High gain at small freq. range
"sounds" loud

Con's
Very "boomy"
Small response range
Hardest to design and build
Needs other drivers to "fill in"

Other uncommon box designs include Transmittion Line, Passive Radiator, and a new style that uses a "membrane" to control the suspension.

Transmittion line is like a sealed box, except that it has chambers throughout the box. The length and size of these chambers control's or "tunes" the frequency response of the box. These are EXTREMELY hard to design and the slightest flaw will cause harmfull backwaves. However, if designed properly, sounds absolutely amazing.

Passive Radiator is also similar to a sealed enclosure, except that it uses another unloaded driver (has no magnet, uses a spring type setup to control it's resistance) to control the rate at which the air can expand. This passive radiator controls the tuning of the enclosure.

The final type is something that is brand new to me. I am not sure how long it has been around, and I am not sure exactly what it is called. It uses a membrane to control the frequency. This membrane does not expand or flex, but allows the box to "breath". Different membranes allow more or less air to enter/exit the box at different rates which control the tuning of the box. Again, this is similar to a sealed, but uses the membrane to control airflow.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8945
learn about box types:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

and

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/magic/index.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help