The great "peel and seal" test...

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 820
Well guys, i finally got tired of not having any sound deadenin at all in my truck. So I went over to Lowes and got 2 roles of the "mythical" Peel and Seal.

This stuff is really surprizing me...lol
Its 40mil thick and sticks pretty darn good (the roles are 6" x 25'). So far i have used one role on the back wall of my truck and bout 1/2 of one on my passenger side door.

I took my sub out so i cant say if it helped the bad rattles much, but the mid-bass response in my "deadened" door is MUCH better than in my nondeadened door. I'm gonna get on the termlab later on (after i fininsh deadenin the whole truck) and see if it helped my SPL any.

All and all...it seems like this peel and seal stuff is the real deal.

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 797
I too am planning on picking some of it up to deaden my doors. I am sick of letting my DLS Iridium mid go to waste because that thing can really pund for a 6.5. Plus my door vibrates a little too much for me because i get annoyed easily.

How much is a roll by the way???

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 582
is this the stuff that is sort of like a tar ?? and u peel some plastic stuff of the back where its sticky as hell

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8948
sound deadening will improve efficiency because you're not losing as much energy to rattling metal in the car, and it'll lower the sympathetic frequency of the vehicle as a result as well.. but it probably isn't going to give any drastic SPL improvements. Essentially it just helps improve the listening environment.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 587
btw ^ the sh!t that i used is peeling off lol.. i guess the tar heats up and gets soft .. was worth a shot

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3415
Did you use a heatgun or other source to warm it up properly before you applied it? If you don't do it right the first time, it will eventually start to peel back off. (I know, I had the same problem.)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8965
the cheaper stuff needs to have surfaces cleaned well and heated before applying it.
the other thing is that with the cheap stuff I don't leave it exposed. it's usually sanwiched between plastic panels and sheet metal so it's held in place that way.. not just stuck on and hope it stays :-)

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 596
hmm
should invest in a heat gun ive needed one on several occasions.. i was gonna put those strips everywhere and spray rubberized undercoating all over it so it would be stuck there.. try that this week sometime

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8982
you can get a pretty cheap heat gun from wal-mart or teh like. easier than going for an expensive one, and just as useful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us