Jonathan / system analysis

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1917
I have a 95 Mitsubishi Montero SR.

For my componant set i have Image Dynamics CXS62 Chamoleon Set up front.

I still have stock speakers behind the rear seat in the cargo area by my 2 JL 12w6v2's in the prowedge box.

Do you think i should upgrade to a 6.5 midrange back there ? If so which set ? I listen to mostly RAP with all types of bass with some rock here and there. Thanks

My Head Unit is a Eclipse CD8454 and i also need help tuning everything just right and you are the only person i know that knows alot about how to play with that HU and systems.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4368
Do you think it sounds best with the rear speakers playing full, off completely, or faded down a bit? That can determine whether midbass drivers in the rear will be good for you.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1920
Ive never just ran 2 way componant set up front and nothing else in the back. This whould be my first time so im not sure. My rear stock speakers are 6x9 so i whould have to get a adapter to fit 6 1/2" midbass. I think if my ID chamoleons can handle the mid bass up front and sound very good and blend well with my 12's in the back then i wont bother but this is in a SUV so im not sure. Never really had a system in a SUV so maybe you can help me out.

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 53
Jonathan could you tell me the best coponets I dont no what to look for when choosing....
Rainbow diamond HEX polk or dynaudio
only ones local are diamond and polk

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8942
in the US, the best you can find are probably the Rainbow Platinums.

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 54
what about the Profi Vandum Line?
and is tehre away to get them in 3way???
the platnums are out of my range unless you seen them for $1000 i could swing that
Have you seen them for that price anywere Glasswolf(crosses fingers)

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3408
I'm sure you could fine a good set of used platinums for 1,000 - 1,500.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1926
Ok jonathan, Im gonna stay with just the front stage ID chamoleons for right now off that ppi art 300.2 and on wednesday the installer at the shop is gonna do custom work and fit it on the doors of my montero suv. It will cost a bit more for labor and custom work but ill make a post on here after he is done installing it and i test it. Since im only using my front stage. I am gonna have to fade the back out so i dont get any interferance from the stock 6x9 speakers back there. What mode do you suggest to eq my Eclipse CD8454

Crossovers also..thanks

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4370
Sorry so long with the reply. Your plan sounds good for now, get the fronts in there and try those. See if you're happier with the rears going all out, cut off, or faded. If you like rear fill, then you can worry about getting midbass drivers back there. Sinc e you're going to run rears, Pro mode isn't an option for you. Set the crossovers around 120hz to start, 12db slope is your only option for Easy mode if I remember correctly, and set the sub to around 80hz. If the bass seems like it comes from the rear too much, then drop the fronts down to around 100 or 80hz and drop the sub to 63 and see if sound improves. You can only use the graphic EQ in easy mode with the 8454.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1931
Im still trying to get use to the Eclipse CD8454 because ive always had Alpine before. So if i only use the front stage i can use pro mode or easy mode ?

I think im gonna just stay with the fronts only because the rear fill is in the cargo area where my subs are. I think its to far back there to notice anything. Since im not going with rear fill how do i wanna set this head unit and crossovers etc..

Sorry but i know you have experience with this unit. Im having the componants custom installed and having the tweeter flush mounted and paying alot for it. Just looking forward to the finished product and just wanted your expertize on the tuning options on the eclipse deck.

My ppi white art 300.2 doesnt have any crossovers on it so i can just use my HU crossovers.

I will set the sub to 80hz to begin with and see how it sounds like you said.

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 116
im in the same boat with my eclipse, I can't fade front to rear in pro-mode but it does however support rear speakers. My Plan is to leave the factory speakers in the rear off the HU in mono (cause I can run them this way for my particular truck) or replace them with excelon dual mag mids (cause are just laying around) I think you should be fine with NO rear fill. My friend installed rear fill but he agrees that he has it mostly faded to the front anyways, if you still want some back there you could pobably run it off the HU and the fronts off an amp.

My Eclipse sounds WAY WAY better in Advanced mode than easy mode. The time alignment EQ and X-over settings make a huge difference.

I would not put components or coaxils back there really, cause you want most of your imaging up front. Mono midbass is ideal for rear fill.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Does your Eclipse allow multiple crossovers? Cause on mine you set the range where it splits the fronts from sub, I set mine to 80 with 12db slope.

BTW Jonathan, thanks for the help on the components I'm loving these DLS Iridiums. I listened to some CDT 3 way EU series and they didn't have anything on the DLS 2 ways, they had hardly any midbass in comparison and they were in sealed pods vs mine in the stock location of the door panels. The Imaging I'm getting from the DLS with the tweetes in the dash and midbass in the door is unreal, especialy with the auto - Time Alignment ont eh CD5444. I listened to another guy who had some 8.3 DLS and they sounded very nice too but the imaging in his car which I would have thought was better was not quite as good I guess the tweets are very directional so having them in the dash firing up works better than in the doors in my case.

The Midbass is excelent for 6.5's. In the beginning I just wanted better than stock, now I'm glad I spent the little bit of extra cash and im into this car audio thing.

You made a huge difference thanks for the help in making a good decision.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4384
MO:
"So if i only use the front stage i can use pro mode or easy mode ?"

Either. Pro is mainly for running drivers active, but you can rig it so that you can control the Time alignment and EQing of the components, you'll just be limited to adjusting for the whole set instead of individual drivers. You could run rear fill from the head unit, but Pro mode isn't made for you to run them off of an amp as all the preouts are used for the fronts and subwoofer.

"I think im gonna just stay with the fronts only because the rear fill is in the cargo area where my subs are. I think its to far back there to notice anything. Since im not going with rear fill how do i wanna set this head unit and crossovers etc.. "

I wouldn't worry about rear fill either personally. The main reason that people get that "extra" quality from rear fill is usually due to lack of midbass up front, since usually rear fill takes place in a package tray and a big, infinite baffle setup, equalling good bass, better than unmodified doors offer usually. If you're getting good components (which you are), you won't need the extra midbass support.

Crossovers, time alignment, EQ, is something you can experiment with. You can use Auto-EQ to get the sound somewhat close to flat (it's not the most accurate thing out there, but definately a good starter tool). Then you can adjust from there. Try and get your crossovers, TA set before EQing.

Justintoxicated:

"Does your Eclipse allow multiple crossovers? Cause on mine you set the range where it splits the fronts from sub, I set mine to 80 with 12db slope."

In PRO, you can choose from 6db/oct, 12db/oct, 18db/oct, or 24db/oct. Easy mode you're limited to 12db/oct if I remember correctly.

"BTW Jonathan, thanks for the help on the components I'm loving these DLS Iridiums"

Glad you're enjoying them, I love the DLS sets. They're eating IASCA alive right now, too, BTW :-) Those 6.5" are authoritative, very good midbass/midrange drivers. Scott Buwalda has them running all the way down to 31hz in his comp vehicle.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1938
Thanks for your help jonathan, I will try the Auto-EQ and then go from there. I will have to read more about promode and easymode. IM not sure which one to run now that im only running my front stage and no rear fill. I have installation tommorow at 10am. I will let you know how it goes on thursday by making a post. Auto-EQ is done with the included MIC ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
I can't figure out how to change m crossover slope in pro mode, all I can do is change it from Pass to 12db... maybe cause it's only a Cd5444? In easy mode I don't even have the X-over option. I would really like to try 63Htz with > 12db slope.

I wish I could fade front to rear in pro-mode and not just in easy mode, I think I may have to compleatly disconnect my rear speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us