Sub fire down?

Sekaran
Unregistered guest
Hey,Im extremely new to the car audio scene, and had a question about a sub box. My home sub is sealed but faces downward, kinda like this
Would something like this work for car audio?

BabyBrock
Unregistered guest
like..........what??? lol

jungala
Unregistered guest
no picture

Sekaran
Unregistered guest
Well, i cant get get a decent pic, so ill do it this crappy way, please use your imagination
l-----------------------l
l-----Sealed----------l
l----enclosure-------l
-(subwoofer surround)-
l-------(empty)------l (supports)
---------------------- (base)

the sub faces down in the enclosure, and has two supports on the side, so looking straight forward you see through the supports

jungala
Unregistered guest
snafu

Sekaran
Unregistered guest
http://www.goelectronic.com/Merchant2/4.23/00000001/catalog/p_ADVENT_ASW_1200.ht ml

heres a similar design, except instead of being held up by 4 posts it bas one full base

and this one looks almost exactly like mine (its an acoustic research)this one is ported, bu the slot looks almost the same

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hometheaterplus/acrepr10lo12.html

Sekaran
Unregistered guest
Sorry about all that garbage, basically would a down-firinbg sub work as well as a sub firing towards the back (or wherever I decide sounds best)
Thanks

jungala
Unregistered guest
you would be better off to go to one of your local stereo shops and have them build you a box from scratch for half the price of the one on yahoo and it would be much louder:-)

jungala
Unregistered guest
you ideally want the sub and the port(Optional) to face the back of the car

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1344
Pointing the sub down is bad for the suspension, after a while it will wear out faster from gravity pushing down on it. You could get it to work but I do not think it would last long.

jungala
Unregistered guest
GOOD point jexx

sekaran
Unregistered guest
Alright, Im sure it would also be easier to just make my a normal box anyway, it was just something i was wondering about

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 83
Most ppl dont use downfiring subs not because of suspension or anything like that
they dont use them because there simply isn't enough room in a car to have the waves function as they should from a downfiring sub and spread out normally.
Thus if you have the subs facing the tunk, it gives the waves more area to spread out and such
Downfiring subs are mainly seen in pick-up trucks i believe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us