I need some advice about putting subs into a Mercedes

Username: Mbenz10

Post Number: 1
I need help with if i should or shouldn't put some subs and amps into my 2002 Mercedes ML320. I don't want to screw up the bose sound system that is already in there, but i want more base. Some people are telling me not to get it cuz it would mess up the electronics of the car. I want to put 2 1500 Watt Alpine 10' Subs in with 2 1700 watt Kenwood amps. Please someone tell me what the best thing to do is and if i could let Best Buy install that for me. Or if they are going to screw it up.

muddywaters
Unregistered guest
DO NOT let best buy install anything go to one of your local stereo shops, and as evryone knows oem sucks, period, b/c mercedes isnt worried about how there stereo sounds there worried about how well there car is going to run crash test ratings...etc. if you can find someone who knows how to install stereos then the electronics in your car should be just fine b/c there are ways to bipass factory amps and what not

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 983
what alpine subs are you talking about? The type R? If it is the type R the 1500 watts is a max rating and should not be used for daily use and can sometimes be completely BS anyway. The RMS is what you need to pay attention to.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1343
To be honest, that Bose sound system will sound contrastively terrible to a whole new sound system. I would suggest you replace all of the factory sound equipment-it happens to be the area car manufacturers use the cheapest materials possible, it does not matter if it is Bose, it is still made with cheap materials.

Best Buy isn't the best place to install something like that unless you have a friend there that absolutley knows what he is doing, otherwise taking it to a place that does car audio installs exclusively would be a better option.

Post Number: 2
Thx for the help guys, i wana keep the Bose speakers in place because they sound really good, all i want is to crank some more bass out. I was told that i need two 1700 watt amps to run two of those subs. I mean if they have to cut my wires from the current system i don't want to do that i just want to add it on witouth any other problems, but i don't want to take it to someone and killin my sound totally. And i was talkin about best buy cuz i work there lol and i get major discounts i get like $260 amps for like $160 and the subs for like $90.

muddywaters
Unregistered guest
thats fine if you can get good discounts, but have a certified professional install it, not someone who has to read the installation manual word for word

Post Number: 3
The subs i wana put in are 10' Alpine Type Rs (500W RMS). My biggest fear is that if its gona screw my electronics, its an expensive are too lol.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 353
What electronics would it screw up? All of use here are running aftermarket systems. Unless you connect your speakers to your door locks, you won't screw anything up.

Post Number: 4
Ok guys but do i really need two 1700 watt amps for those subs? if yea then which are the best of Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate?

muddywaters
Unregistered guest
if you are powering two subs for a total of 1,000 watts rms then you need an amplifier that can produce 1,000 watts at 4 ohms or 2 ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us