Infinity Kappas: to bridge or not to bridge?

Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 6
Getting my speakers and amp installed this Saturday at a local car audio place. Right now what I'm getting put in:

Kenwood MP-928
JL 300/4
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components (front) (100 watt RMS)
Infinity Kappa 62.7 (rear) (75 watt RMS)

I decided I had to upgrade the rear speakers, since a Chevy Prizm's stock speakers don't pack much punch. Now from what I have read, most "purists" suggest putting the rear speakers mono and bridged? I just want to check if this is what I should be doing, as I would be pushing 150 watts to my weaker speakers in the back, and 75 to each speaker in the front. Or does the fact that both speakers in the back are hooked up bridged somehow limit the output (if someone could just explain the logic to me, I'm kind of fuzzy on it).

For limiting the frequency, I know my HU has settings for each speaker, or should I pass this responsibility off to the amp? (Adjustable settings, so I guess I can just play around with them)

Last one, should I mount the tweeters, or get them put flush in the door. The installer said the cost would be negible, and I'm not keeping the car forever. Would I lose significant performance by not mounting the tweeters flush in the door?

-Matt

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 478
you can't hook something up mono and bridged...mono is a 1 channel amp, therefore unbridgeable...you can bridge the amp to get more power at 4 ohms, but your speakers are 2 ohms...honestly I'd get a good 4 channel amp to run the components and rear speakers off of like the jl audio 300/4 or phoenix gold xenon x200.4 where you get the same power from 1,2, or 4 ohms...those are amps that you'd be able to use for a long time too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
i would set your hu frequency around 90 hz...headunits usually have slow rolloff slopes which is a good thing...you should also use the amps crossover...just set it around 55 hz so you get a good amount of lower bass since you don't have a sub

Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 7
Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more clear with what my full setup is going to be like. The week after (hopefully if everything ships), I'll be putting in a jl 500/1 and a jl 12w6v2 in a ported box.

My definition of "mono" was that for the rear speakers both the left and the right will receive the same signal from the amplifier if it is bridged. (Isn't that mono?) As opposed to the front where the right and left each receive a separate channel. Is this incorrect?

And I do have the jl 300/4, so then the verdict for 2 ohm speakers is there's no need to bridge? I thought this the purpose of bridging the back speakers wasn't so much to give it more power, but to give the rear speakers less responsibility in "building the sound stage".

Bronze Member
Username: Angus_nb

Post Number: 12
Bridged or not you are putting out a total of 150 watts to your two rear speakers. Either 75 watts x 2 or 150 watts x 1.
Personally I don't see any reason to bridge them. If your sound stage is set up correctly you shouldn't even notice the rear speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
do not bridge them...theres no point at all...your fading will not work then because you won't be able to distinguish left from right rear speakers...go 4 channels...1 channel to each speaker...it will put enough power to the speakers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us