Curioius to how it works?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4643
Guys im curious, a graphic equalizer seperates bands that a speaker plays right, well i got a Kwneood Graphic Equalizer KGC-9044 and a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X469 for my car and im wondering how exactly somen like this works, how does it do it i mean? the techinical stuff?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3763
well a EQ just takes a signal from your Head unit that usually lacks much depth and isnt as accurate in detail at different hz levels. Most HU's have a bass,and a treble so you can boost it up from say 20hz to 250hz by playing with the bass but it is such a non detailed signal because it is so broad over the hz spectrum. Now what your eq does is takes the output signal that is shallow and vague from your head unit and add's depth and clarity by giving a more detailed option for boosting sounds between specific frequency's, say 20hz-30hz,30hz-50hz and so on all the way up to 20Khz so a line coming out from your headunit say it looks like this ^^^^^^ out of your EQ will be much cleaner like this-------. It adds the ability to fine tune each individual speaker in your car to sound its absolute best.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8914
www.bcae1.com answeres all of this I'm pretty sure.

http://stereos.about.com/cs/componentguide/a/equalizers.htm

google is your friend

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4644
haha glass, thanks for the links, but i tried readingh over it no bcae a while ago it just didnt "stick" ya know, lol but james, thank you VERY much that really helps me with that and ill def use this EQ in my car, by the way, is this Graphic Equalizer pretty good? or not, im not really sure what to look into when im looking at one

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8927
if you don't know if you need an EQ, you don't need one.

an EQ is a "fix" product.
not something you need unless you know you need it

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4654
well ik now i need it because im working on the imagaing and staging in my car

Bronze Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 52
In every car, there is a different and HARSH sound enviroment. Same as every room in a house or theater etc. Each speaker will also produce sound differently in every room.

Because each room and speaker has a different frequency response, there is no standard point to which is "right". Or is there? You see in a perfect world, there would be no phase cancellation, delays, resonance, etc etc. and you would always have a flat response - the same in every room or car everytime.

Unfortunately, this is not the case and everything is different. In one room compared to another you may have very high peaks at some frequencies and very low dips at other frequencies. An EQ is designed to fill in the low spots, and tune down the peak frequencies.

A frequency is really just an easy way to tell one octive from another. Every time you double a frequency, you go up an octive. Every time you cut a frequency in half you go down an octive. Therefore from 500hz to 1000hz is one octive up, and from 1000hz to 2000hz is up another octive and so on. So when you hear of a 30-band EQ with 1/3 octive increments - each frequency up is 1/3 of an octive - so every 3 steps up from eachother is an octive.

So, the question is, How do you set an Equalizer? Most people will just play with it to what they think sounds good. However, this is only guessing and really does not sound very good in most cases. The real way is to use a device called an RTA or Real Time Analyzer. This is a device that displays what level each frequency is playing at, frequency by frequency. It uses a special flat response microphone and a special CD track called pink noise. Pink noise is basically "static" or "snow" as many people will refer to it as. This track is a simple recording of every single frequency at the exact same level. You then play this track in your room/theater/car through your speakers and use the microphone of the RTA to pick up on how your car reproduces sound. You then use your Equalizer to adjust each frequency accordingly so that you have a very smooth response. You get rid of any peaks or dips in the response.

Like I said before, every room, and every theater, and every car, will have a different response. Even if they have the exact same equipment in each. Fortunately, we have the technology today to read the room's accoustical properties and adjust the sound accordingly so that they music played through your stereo sounds EXACTLY how the instrument/singer origonally sounded in the recording studio!

Hope that makes some sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

muddywaters
Unregistered guest
i would just like to take the time and say that jon is a genious. i have never heard anybody give such in-depth explanations and yet be so understandable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us