1000 watt with two 12" 800 watt subs

Username: Bag3don20z

Post Number: 1
ok,my friend says i could use a 1000 watt amp with my rockford HE-2s,they are 800 watt max 400 rms.if i was too run the amp at 500 to each sub would that be alright.he says i can turn the amp down to limit it to 400 watts so i wont blow my subs.is this true???im new to all this so please dont flame.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 593
We won't flame, at least you gave good info about your subs and your questions made sense, unlike some people that come in here. If you get an amp that puts out 1000 watts RMS, then you will be good. There are some crappy companies out there that like to say their amps are 1000 watts but in reality, put out ALOT less power RMS. Your friend is right and wrong. Yes you can turn down the amp,it is called a gain control. The part he is wrong about is that you can still blow a sub. If you start turning the HU up to 95-100% you will be getting alot of distortion in your subs and it still can ruin them. Be careful with the volume control.

Post Number: 2
ok well i just got my first car and im just tryin to get somthin of a system goin so im prolly gonna end up gettin a xplod 1000-1200 watt amp.do you know what the real RMS power rating they have is???

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 595
LOL. That is one of the companies I was indirectly refering to. Sony is one of the worst car audio companies out there, don't buy from them if you can help it. That "1000 watt" Sony amp probably only puts out MAYBE 200 watts RMS, and that is being generous. What is your price range and what voice coil configuration on those subs? Maybe we can steer you in the right direction.

Post Number: 3
i figured that was one of the companys but,i only have $400and the cd player in my car is a piece so i need to get a new one and i just figured that i could get a xplod for 200 so..but i mean i can save more but...you know how that goes.what would be the best 800 watt amp between lets say $300-$400.if there is one

heres the specs of my subs

RMS Power Handling: 400 Watts

Peak Power Handling: 800 Watts

Frequency Response: 28-200 Hz

Sensitivity: 86 dB

Impedance: 4 Ohms

Sealed Box Volume 0.9-2.79 Cubic Feet

Ported Box Volume 1.75-4 Cubic Feet

Top Mount Depth 6-3/16"

Dual Voice Coil Design

Polyproylene Cone with Large Roll Treated Foam Surround

if that helps at all

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 596
Ok if you have 2 4-ohm Dual voice coil (DVC) subs, your best bet is to get a 2 channel amp and bridge it. For $300 you could get a pretty decent amp.

This is the first thing that came to mind:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=402

Mind you, this amp can be had for a much cheaper price on ebay, if you are willing. I personally LOVE ebay, some other people let 1 bad experience scare them away. I have been burned before, but most people on there are very honest.

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 100
You can get a audiobahn head unit on ebay for 120 shipped, that is one of their few things that is still quality, lol i wouldnt touch their subs again because of bad experiences.. Also you could pic up a mtx 942.2 amp 470x2 watts rms @2ohm but, those are about $260 on ebay .

Post Number: 4
see the head unit im getting ive been lookin at for awhile its a Kenwood KDC-MP425.um i was looking at the amps you guys sugjested and well im alil confused.

heres the specs of the mtx 942.2
350 w x 2 @ 2 ohm Load
175 w x 2 @ 4 ohm Load
700 w Bridged 4 ohm Load

since my subs are 4 ohm would the amp only be puttin 175 watts to each sub???and what does bridgeing mean?sorry if these are stupid questions.

Post Number: 5
that was the rms and then theres...

470 w x 2 @ 2 ohm Load
235 w x 2 @ 4 ohm Load
940 w Bridged 4 ohm Load

which is the dynamic???

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 600
Yeah both of those ratings are RMS power. For some reason MTX decides to call RMS power @ 14.4v "dynamic", not sure why. The first specs you gave are @ 12.5v. SO once you get your car going up to about 2000 rpm, you will be getting close to 14.4v, and you will be getting more power from your amp.

Bridging is something you do to take 2 channels and turn them into 1 more powerful channel. So since you have 2 DVC 4-ohm subs, you can wire them in a series/parallel fashion and end up with a single 4-ohm load, perfect for your amp bridged, as stated in the specs.

Silver Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 105
kenwood amps are tight as hell dude u should probably get a dif version as that one is really old-- my old one was insane- i love how they started the whole screen savers while ur listening to music-- im kinda into the whole pictures on the samller screen

Silver Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 106
not amps i mean HU
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us