Do i need an HO alternator?

Bronze Member
Username: Crusacargen

CA US

Post Number: 18
I have a 2004 mitsubishi lancer es and I am running 2 12" audiobahn 550 rms a piece with 1.2 farad cap and a Bazooka RSD800.1 amp. I have no Idea what I need and if there is enough power for the amp to max out so do I need a HO alternator and yellow top optima battery?

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 358
Depends what your stock one is, but I'm going to say yes, or at least maybe, because that cap isn't doing anything. Ask any of the Gold members on here, and they will tell you the same thing!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3771
One way to find out is at night. Look for dimming lights during heavy bass.
What are you doing with $hitty Bazooka products? If you care about SQ, then dump it.
From my testing, 300w rms is about the limit for stock alternators. Anything higher and you'll start noticing dimming lights.
You don't need yellowtop battery unless you plan in listening to stereo with engine off. Don't waste you money on gadgets such as batcap, 100F capacitors etc. They don't work. If you need stronger alternator, then go with HO. Nothing else will help.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3384
Don't forget to upgrade your wiring along with a High output alt as well. If you put in a 200 amp alt, but leave your stock 8 gauge wiring in, then your not gonna get much of an improvement.

Honestly though, you can't get a crappier amp then a Bazooka...

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1896
Mr. Lancer, i have a stock 85 amp alternator in my Mitsubishi Montero and i just ordered a HO alternator from www.excessiveamperage.com / you can call nathan and talk to him. He is a great guy and can answer any questions. Mitsubishi alternators cost more then ford or gmc or most other cars. I am getting a 180 amp alternator for my system and i should have it in 2 weeks. I paid $265 for it shipped.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us