Good Sub for MeTaL Music

Bronze Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 90
I was wondering if you all had any suggestions on a subwoofer for me. I mostly listen to metal and rock, even though rap and even jazz sometimes show up. I was planning on getting a 15" ava because price-to-performance value but now I'm looking for a sub that will perform well with my musical taste. I have always liked one sub setups but am open to suggestions. I would like to stay around 1000 or less watts for one sub and under 1500 for 2 (still open to suggestions). I would like to spend under 1000 dollars for amp and subs, but am always open to suggestions(as you can see). Thanks for all your help.

I also didn't know if I'd be better off just upgrading components first (right now my civic is all stock).
Thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 47
how do your components sound? if they are bottoming out or distorting, then i would go for speakers first. i think speakers would benifit you more than the sub(s) right now. get some high quality speakers and some tweeters for the highs. as for a sub, i would suggest a ten inch XXX. the best quality you can get if you wanna stay under 1000 dollars.only problem is that the XXX's are not out right now. dont know when either... dont know what amp to suggest, but make sure you get high quality on that too. a cheap amp can make or (usually) breaks a system. shop around

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 91
Okay...how about this?

1 12" IdMax powered with a eD nine.1...the only thing is I'm not sure how the IdMax would compare with a Ava. I'm sure its more accurate but what about spl wise? I'm more into sq but I'm just wondering. Jonathan...what do you think, I know you have an IdMax with a jl 1000/1? Also does the nine.1 really put out 1200 watts? or is there a better amp for the price? I know its alot of questions but thank you even if you only answer one.

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 92
I also thought about the xxx's but there still isnt a release date on them, plus I would definately need a new alternator to power it. I will probably end up getting a new alt down the road but the more money I can save now the better.

As for my speakers, they only distort bad when they try to produce low bass and vocals at the same time, other than that they are decent, at least for stock. They distort at high volume, but I usually keep the volume right before they start to distort.

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 92
man you want to go for atleast a 12 or 10" subwoofer(s) 15" take a little longer to hit and are used mostly for spl, and make sure u use a sealed box

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 93
I already know this...its common sense. & if I was to go ported that doesn't mean it will have worse sq.

Bronze Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 98
bump

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3778
you are absolutely correct about the sealed vs ported box sq issue. A well designed and low tuned vented enclosure will actually have a better response and more driver control then sealed its just much more work. Now the guy who said that a 15 wont have as good SQ as a 10 or a 12 is way off the myth that 15's cant move as fast is completly false. It actually depends more on the damping factor of your amp whether it will be able to control a sub faster or not. I would put my avalanche 15 up against most 10's and 12's anyday and I guarentee you the SQ will be impressive. If you do decide to go with ID max you cant go wrong there they are fantastic subs but if you do decide to go with the avalanche let me know cause I have a few for sale as well as a atlas 15.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1908
Hey James what is the T/s Specs for the Avalanche 15 OG versian that we have

Bronze Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 32
Yep, most of the BEST SQ drivers in the world require nothing but a vented enclosure. Focal Utopia's for example only perform very well in a vented enc.

BTW, the IDMax is a very good SQL sub, check out an Eclipse Titanium also... Everyone has different taste in sound, so I'd recommend going to the store's and hearing all of them.

Silver Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 101
hey james...do have a set price for one of the ava's? shoot me an e-mail or just post on here. couldntthink_2006@yahoo.com thanks

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 696
Not to jack your thread but I was wondering how good an Avalanche would sound with 500w? I have a Soundstream Reference 500 and I was going to run a Type R, but I have been thinking about an Avalanche instead.

I listen to %90 metal, and I am a SQ guy, but I would love to have the ability to have some SPL to.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for your time.

Bronze Member
Username: Big_lou

Post Number: 59
Hey james are you taking trades for one of your ava 15's?

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 699
bump

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3801
an avalanche with that reference 500 would sound great. I love that amp by the way one of my all tme favorites.
Hey Lou what do you have to offer?

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 701
What sizes do you have and how much are you offering them for?

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 717
bump

Silver Member

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 109
James...still waiting on an e-mail or a post with some prices? Don't go forgetting about me now. lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us