The cleanest sounding sub that money can buy

Bronze Member
Username: Ihaveasystem2

Post Number: 49
Well thanks everyone for helping me out well i see that the subs will rattle my trunk so what is the cleanest sounding bass sub if i put 2 in my civic

Take a look at the pic of how my civic will kinda look and im telling you this car isnt mine just one i found on the internet
Upload

how do youll like the rims

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2700
You're wanting 2 12's, and just sq right?
No price?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
what is sq man but ya no price because it will be for my pride and joy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
what do you think of a 19" computer flat panel screen because my friends said that if you cut the plugin off that the screen has the same wires as a car screen so I can put it in my trunk with the 2 12" subs and put pop trunk on it where people can see it before i race what do you think of that

Bronze Member
Username: Gavbo211

US

Post Number: 53
Just becareful cause u know if u get some really good sturdy subs most tend to be kind of heavy so if u plan on racing u might wanna get a removable box. by the way those rims are sweet id go for them if u can.

Bronze Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 41
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112160
this is the monitor you would have to use, or a similar one. it has both s-video and composite video inputs. i can only see 2 major problems. one is that the power input for that monitor is AC, and you got DC, so go out and buy a AC\DC converter. the other is the weather. i though about doing that to my car, but it gets too cold out where i live, i didnt want to damage the screen any.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
bad a** monitor at a bad a** price but the subs can be heavy because its going to go where the spare tire usually goes and the rims are oley about 1,000.00 for 18" rims so I think im gunna jump on them can youll give me a list from best to worst i really appreciate youll helping me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
has anyone seen seats that pop up where you usually sit for storage because i was thinking of makeing my passanger seat and my back seat like that and just ger the same apulstry for the driver seat and put my Nitrous under the passanger seat and mount mu amps under the back seats plexyglassed in well what do youll think

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 360
You should look at RE XXX (www.reaudio.com) Or an Adire Brahma, or an Image Dynamics IDMAX sub. How much $ do you have for all the mods on this car? BTW, my computer monitor needs an amp of AC power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Anywhere from 30,000 to 60,000

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
whaaaaaat?

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 361
does that price include the install or are you handy enough to tackle it yourself? Damn, 30-60 Gs. Thats some serious dough. When you want to replace your speakers up front, get custom doors made to hold a really nice 2 or 3 way component set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
u think thats a little too much

Don'tworryaboutit
Unregistered guest
If you have that kind of money, what are you doing driving a civic?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2704
Lol good point...
Anyway, sq means sound quality... how good it sounds, and spl means, sound pressure level... how loud it gets. I'd guess you'd want both right?
Well, I'd look in to RE x.x.x,
JL 12w7/13.5w7
IDmax
Adire Brhama
Ascendant Audio's Avalanch
Sound Splinter,
Eclipse TI's,
all will give you good sounding bass, and still thump.:-)
If you just want to blow the trunk straight off, go with RE MT's,
DD 9917,
TRF2212,
Eclipse PRO,
But all require a pretty good size amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
what do you think of a ppi 1000 watt 2 channel amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
I do it myself its gunna be top of the line car the motor is gunna be 15 to 20 gs the person building it said it is guarnteed to be at least a 10 sec. car if not faster

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
I ment the motor not the car

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 91
dude, if you are going to race that car actually, id go with three 8" subs, in a fiberglass or plexi box, sounds like you been watching the fast and the furious too much... (atleast a ten sec car) lol.. if it were me and i was going to race a civic, i wouldnt have any kind of subs in it due to the weight, i would just have tweets in front, some mids in doors and some full range in the back.

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 369
if it were me, and i was going to race anything, i would have to get a bada$$ muscle car, due to the fact that not only are they rare, and look sweet, but fast as he11(if you do the right things under the hood)

and yea, what are you doing with a honda civic?

Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 5
For strictly SQ - the cleanest sound ever - go with either Focal Utopia components or DLS Iridium 3 way Components, Focal Utopia Subs, all Zapco amps.

I gaurentee you'll be very happy, there really isn't anything better, maybe equal, but not better. Focal is regarded as one of if not the best speaker manufacturer world wide. Zapco is an amplifier manufacturer. Again, they have been around since the beginning and are one of the best.

Not sure where you could get those brands near you, but try calling Larry - (414) 571-1077 He carries Zapco and Focal, not sure where you could get the DLS though. Larry is a very nice guy and will gladly help you out with prices and all the info you could imagine. His shop head judges USAC World Finals.

Anyone in this forum who does not agree with me, doesn't know the first thing about stereos. This is high end stuff you'll never see at Best Buy or most "high end" audio shops.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
IF i change the paint scheme from need for speed underground 2 do you think i can get copy rights on it

Bronze Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 94
...how do afford all this stuff for your car after just making it on nfs underground? And I doubt that somebody from EA would see your car and try to sue you for the paint scheme.

Bronze Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 95
...how do afford all this stuff for your car after just making it on nfs underground? And I doubt that somebody from EA would see your car and try to sue you for the paint scheme.

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 223
that would be funny...

Bronze Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 88
lol kid-- come visit me in ohio and ill rap3 ur civic a new exhaust

i have over 20g's in my evo and believe me u do not have enough hood room for a 10 second car-because i dont even have enough hood room

go back to beverly hills and drive a range rover or sumtin-- can u even drive stick??

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4353
"the motor is gunna be 15 to 20 gs the person building it said it is guarnteed to be at least a 10 sec. car if not faster"

He better be swappin a blown V8 in there, an I-4 and FWD isn't hitting 10s or faster with $15-20k. Not being mean, just a reality check. You can take every interior piece out, use saran wrap for windows, extremely beefed drivetrain and suspension, slicks, a $15000 engine, and still be LUCKY to 11s, more like 11.99999999999s. Assuming your engine is a far cry from the typical 1.6L Civic engine, and you get an EXTREMELY built motor that is actually capable of 10s, you'll need a supply of race fuel, the tires will go up in smoke all of the time, the torque steer would be ferocious and you would be puking out clutches, CV joints, transaxles and engine block parts onto the road all of the time. You'll also be fighting the fact that FWD absolutely sucks for any kind of racing, and that is very hard to fight on a drag strip. 13 seconds for a street driven I-4 is more realistic. If you plan on running 93 octane, use street tires (DOT approved), with a full interior, stereo system, and with a sound level of under 95 dB outside, then 13 second times are a good goal to shoot for. 10s aren't happening with it, professional drag racers are lucky to hit tens in a tubbed FWD Civic.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 357
idk but one of my dads friends has a neon that he races that runs mid 11's i think his best time was like 11.35 or somthing but that has a lot of engine mods, and supension work, and the car was sripped to cut most of the unwanted weight.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8887
best SQ sub? probably an IDmax with the optional AP membrane kit, in an AP enclosure.

as for the car and rims.. ehh, uber-riced.
it's sorta ghey, but you asked for opinions. hondas aren't sportcars. if you want a fast honda, buy an NSX.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 963
Man.... I think those cars go for around 80 grand.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8891
an NSX? $89,000 new if I recall. about $50,000 used, in decent condition.
My best friend's got one. They're very nice cars on a track.
Of course, not so hot against cars like mine on a strip..

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 964
yeah and they don't have alot of power for 89 grand either. 276 from the honda models at most and like 330 something from the honda acura " luxury division " lmao..

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 965
And they have a MR drivetrain pretty rare.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3761
the s2000 is a nice car aswell and very easy to heavily mod up. I am a old muscle car man myself never got into the ricer garbage. I personally cant stand them driving by sounding like backfiring go carts!

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8897
they don't need a lot of horsepower. they hardly weight anything and they're very neutral handling with a high rev limit.. as I said, they're great for track use.. not as graet for typical US street use.

Horsepower is a lot less important than most people think anyway.
Torque is what moves a car.. not horsepower.

all HP really amounts to is torque x engine RPM. If you wind any motor to a high enough RPM, you'll make lots of HP even with hardly any torque, or rotational force to turn the driveshaft. That's one reason I like having over 600lb-ft of torque @ 4000rpm myself.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 359
i've always wondered what a rice burner would sound like with a blower on it. or if you could even put a blower on a rice burner.

Silver Member
Username: Supraspyder420

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 106
You can put a blower on a 4 banger but people normaly dont because it takes a little bit more torque to turn the blower rather tehn have a turbo spool with exhaust. Glass is totaly right about HP and torque though. I saw a civic with 815hp and 289 torque.

And LEgacyAUDio, you have 20g's in your evo and havent hit 10's yet? is that in bosy/interior to? because ive seen 600HP evo's that arnet close to 20g's in mods, and do 10's easily. but i dont want to start more gossip.

But derrick mcdaniel, id gow tih 2 12" W6's. very good SQ and they look sexy as hell.

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 54
10?S sorry man but my boy with a 92 camero with a built 383 twin turbo only hits mid 11's and last time he did that he snapped a drive shaft. if you want tens in a civic i would get atleast a six cyliner engine built and put in.

Bronze Member
Username: Bassss

Post Number: 22
hey taylor17 how will the re mt wit 4 hifonics bx1500s sound an how would the pressure do 2 my car its goin in a ported box tuned 2 like 30hz an edead the whole trunk an doors

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8908
in reality, the only way you'll hit tens in the quarter in any civic is if you drop a V8 in it or more likely just drop the body on a tubular drag frame.
It's not going to happen with any modded honda engine. too much fast adn furious. most serious people I've seen in the real world with imports brag about hitting 12s in their cars.. the better ones I've seen that are streetable, non prostock, are in the mid 11s.

you don't see roots blowers on imports because the engines are mounted transversely.. so the blower intake would sit sideways. You can put a centrifugal compressor on an i4 engine, but as mentioned above, you'd lose power and the engine can't spin a good blower enough to get much gain. The ones I've seen on cars like a Celica add maybe 6lbs of boost and about 40HP.
waste of time when you could get more benefit with less loss in a car like that from spray or a turbo or two.

Remember something like an 8-71 roots style blower (think mad max or the charger in F&F) is actually taken from old diesel engines, and takes an engine with a minimum of 350-400BHP (without the blower) just to turn the screws on one of those things.
While they can add up to 50% more power to a motor, it also takes quite a bit of power to spin one up.
The advantage though, is instant throttle response and torque. No spool0up time. It's always right there.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 362
pretty much all you have to do to turn a civic into a "10 second car" is coat every part of the engine in chrome. That will add atleast 100 HP right?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3774
and that tornado thing from that infomercial add's like 30% more HP and tourque so there ya go. lol on the chrome!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3782
What good is a 10 sec car when the price of gas is sky rocketing?
Tell me when you have a car that fast running on water. :-)
Then I'm in!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Hey man thanks for all youll helping me but the car is guarnteed to be a 10 sec. car or the motor will be FREE so if what youll are saying is true then I might get a 11 sec, or 12 sec car for free so Im happy with that and how fast do youll think I will go in the Q-Mile

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 385
i've always wondered on the mad max movie how can max turn off the blower, cause every where i've seen them on cars if the blower isn't spinning the motor won't run.

i'm not for sure but mabey 130-140 mph.

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 309
come back when you get a n/a car that does at least 11s. N/A > boost. Props on the civic.

Bronze Member
Username: Tnilli

Post Number: 24
How would infinity fit in this category? Are they a pretty clean sub, SQ good?

Bronze Member
Username: Slimjim

Caro, MI US

Post Number: 16
ok derek, if your lookin' for a sick car that can run 10's, has import flavor, and your lookin to spend 60 g's, get a Twin Turbo Supra. awesome looks, loads of mods, and you'd have better sq in that Hatchback than from any sub sitting in your trunk. I would go with 2 Id Max's running mild wattage to each, like 600wrms.

PS.- A stock twin turbo Supra could rain hell on a lot of cars, Track or Strip, including a more-than-you-can-afford Honda Civic. A fully whipped TT Supra will desamay Almost any super-car

Bronze Member

Caro, MI US

Post Number: 18
ok derek, if your lookin' for a sick car that can run 10's, has import flavor, and your lookin to spend 60 g's, get a Twin Turbo Supra. awesome looks, loads of mods, and you'd have better sq in that Hatchback than from any sub sitting in your trunk. I would go with 2 Id Max's running mild wattage to each, like 600wrms.

PS.- A stock twin turbo Supra could rain hell on a lot of cars, Track or Strip, including a more-than-you-can-afford Honda Civic. A fully whipped TT Supra will desamay Almost any super-car

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
no i could hit under 10 if i wanted to-- but the fact that im not buying new tires puting in a new tank of NOS and putting in gas that costs like 10 dollars a gallon in my car is my view

im not a pro racer--dont want to be-- i enjoy having a fast car-- outrunning cops is fun :-)-- and as for the HP torque thing-- Torque all the way

i personnally built my car around torque becasue i love the feeeling of shifting with high torque-- the jerk is insane-- as to why i took out the 4 banger and put in the 6- as for that honda-- sad sad -- i dont even think the hood could take a 6-- might as well get an accord

and a neon hitting 11.35-- dude

my bike--non motor bike (Schwin)- could out race a neon-- dont ever mod a dodge-- mihgt as well mod out a hyundai

and my next car is a lotus espirit-- check em out-- own that NSX at about 30g's less

and the whole supra thing??? crazy idea-- ive seen those things and this kid thinking about getting a honda(he'd probably buy an automatic) would resist him from even having that much power-- in fact i might propose a law against him buying one-- if u want asian import that is fast as hell get an RX-7 .... now those are crazy

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 387
don't ever mod a dodge, what are you talking about that little neon is fast as hell, and i bet it would smoke waht the he11 ever your talkin about, but your right those lotus espirit are badass i seen one at a car show looked sweet as he11, but the guy said he paid $80,000 for it, but it has a twin turbo, and nos on it. and those rx-7's look nice but i've never seen one in real life.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4354
Derrick, if you get the engine for free if it doesn't hit 10s, start grinning from cheek to cheek because you are getting a free engine. Your car doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of hitting 10s or faster. In all honesty, an engine builder would be stupid to guarantee you a 1/4 mile time as it's dependant on much more than the engine, it depends on the car, it's weight, the driver (BIG variable), the transmission/transaxle and gear ratios, traction, weight transfer and the suspension required to optimize it, just too many factors to pin down a specific 1/4 mile time. What kind of engine is he building you? I hope it isn't the stock 1.6L. As far as a guesstimate on times, what kind of modification is he doing? My guess is high 12s unless your information leads me to think otherwise.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8923
I'll believe your ten second car when I see a scan of the time slips from a certified run at a strip with your name, and the car listed on it.
till then, I'm going to be skeptical.
I just watched teh NOPI nationals, and they had an STi on there, insured value of over $60K and he only hit about 270BHP.. and won't be even close to the tens.

I'm in the low tens with my car and that's with a 500cid Indy cylinder head motor pushing over 800HP, with a prostreet drag transmission that's more bulletproof than that entire subaru could ever hope to be.. my tranny is based on one police cars swore by for over two decades of abuse.
Note, I have more torque than HP, too.

Looking at that, I'd hope you can understand why you're not going to be in the tens with a car pushing maybe 300HP that's street driveable.

now what happened to talk about subs?
Infinity isn't going to come close to the IDmax.

Mikey H
Unregistered guest
This all sounds like a joke, anyways racing a honda is like the special olympics, even if you win...your still retarded.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 697
How about them new GTO's.. I would love to get my hands on one of them.

IDMAX would be perfect for your situation/

Mikey H
Unregistered guest
The new GTO is an insult to the name, ya, they may be fast and have a huge motor, but they basically are just down sized grand prixs. I really expected more from pontiac reviving the GTO :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
As far as it goes I like the civic I want it to be fast but but when I really get into speed im started restoreing a 1966 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup and it looks sweet

Upload

what would be better a 350 or a 454 eather will have a blower and this pic was also found on the internet

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
502 ram jet

Silver Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 131
Actually the new GTO is an Austrailian car. Pontiac bought the car, but a new grill on it and named it the GTO... To me, that makes it even more of an insult to the old Judge's.

My buddy used to say "A civic is like a tampon... every pu$$y needs one." I've kinda always liked that phrase.

RX-7's are sweet. I'm a big fan of the rotary engine. I'm hoping they start to turbo the RX-8 sometime soon and see what happens. I've actually heard they're bringing back the RX-7 in 2006ish, bout 50 more HP than the RX-8, wider, and no back seats.

IDMax all the way.

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 785
That pic of the truck you put up is stupid. That truck looks UGLY AS HELL. I could care less if it is a classic, it looks like azz to me.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4355
They're not bad looking trucks all around, kind of plain and I don't like the stepsides as much, but not an ugly truck all over. I started driving on a 64 Chevy C10. Late 60s was when Chevy trucks got good.

The GTO is pathetic. It doesn't deserve the GTO name, but since they're botching classics, they could have made more money if they slapped a Camaro badge on it. But now, the supposed forthcoming Zeta platform for Camaros and Firebirds has been axed to "reallocate resources" as right now they can't produce a RWD sports car that will be competitive in price in the segment (after all, what do you think this is, a car company?) The GTO is uber bland, starts at $33,000, with the 6.0L Corvette engine it only eeks by the Mustang by 2/10s of a second in the 1/4 mile and handles considerably worse. And meanwhile I could go to a Ford dealership and get a better looking car with classier styling, better handling, a more reliable engine, and spend the $7,000 I saved on performance parts, car audio, whatever I like.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4356
I will say, though, the one car that may have a chance is the Pontiac Solstice. Pretty good looking little car for the money, if GM can do that across the board, they'll have a competitive product.

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 199
like i have posted before, first get it, then talk about it, otherwise, just keep quiet.

by the way, i'm getting a ford focus. it's gonna have 36 inch rims, go 275 mph, and run an 8 second quarter mile. I think i am gonna put 6 18 inch jl w 7's in it. And they sound good so my trunk won't rattle at all.

Mikey H
Unregistered guest
Ford sure is doing great with their "new" classics. THe mustangs are pretty cool, and the new ford GT, sooooo sweeeeeeet. Everything Ive read on them says the only thing that can touch em is an enzo, but thats 800,000 more. A Bigger insult than the GTO is the Dodge Charger, it isnt even a coupe, but it does have some style. Furthermore dodge is just throwin the hemi in nearly everything now. Never thought I would say this...but Ford knows what they are doin

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 400
come to montpelier ohio at the ford dealer there they have one of those ford gt's not for sale but just to look at, and imo it is the sweetest looking "stock" car i have ever seen. and it sounded badass to.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4357
I think GM could get some things going, remember that the Pontiac Solstice was the first concept that Lutz was fully involved in, so hopefully it's a preview of things to come. If it is, and they can fortify a little bit and get a leaner, meaner product lineup, GM will be good to go. The Charger isn't a true "ponycar", but neither was the original. Dodge is supposedly coming out with a coupe later on, same deal, similar to what a Challenger used to be.

Back to the original question, though, jon above gave good recommendations with Focal and DLS. Look into Dynaudio, SEAS, Rainbow, Adire Audio, Morel, MB Quart, JL Audio, of course there are others that I've forgotten right off my head. You can do a lot with your budget, including driving to nearly any audio dealer you wanted to to audition all these speakers :-). It's all subjective, you'll find people that love, hate, or have a lukewarm opinion of all the speakers above, it's all up to your ears.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4358
That was for component speakers above, for subwoofers, look at Adire, RE, Image Dynamics, JL Audio, and others that I will list once you state exactly what you want. The big question is how loud you want it to get. If you want it loud and to sound good, the above will steer you in the right direction to begin with. If you aren't concerned with loud, then there are others that come to mind.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Vary clear bass

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4361
Image Dynamics IDQs are great for clarity and SQ, also the JL Audio W6v2. If you want louder, Image Dynamics ID Max and Adire Audio Brahma are excellent SQ performers.

mikey H
Unregistered guest
I heard a 10" IDQ just the other day, man it was one of the clearest subs ive heard, my friend has a w6v2 but I liked the IDQ better, it seems that you dont care about $$$ but you can also get IDQs for like $150 on eBay

mikey H
Unregistered guest
I heard a 10" IDQ just the other day, man it was one of the clearest subs ive heard, my friend has a w6v2 but I liked the IDQ better, it seems that you dont care about $$$ but you can also get IDQs for like $150 on eBay

muddywaters
Unregistered guest
check out Alto subs.... don't know the website...
Google it, they are Major sound quality subs

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 236
Brax subs dont get boomy they are 100% clear bass

Silver Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 139
I own 2 10" IDQ's and they are by far the favorite of the subs i've owned. Extremely clear and can still get loud!

Also, nothing is more of an insult than the GTO... at least Dodge made the new Charger... Pontiac based the GTO off the Holden Monaro, an Austrailian car. They changed some very minor things to make it look more... Pontiac like, but thats about it. And actually, to my knowledge, the Austrailian version is a little faster.

expo2
Unregistered guest
Im just glad Oldsmobile stopped producing new cars, I would cry if they came back with the 442 (aka best muscle car) and turned it into another bland GM. And the GTO is not the first car to come from an international division of a company to an American division, it happens quite frequently, GM owns Holden so whats the big deal that they transferred it to an American company instead of setting up holden dealerships here?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4366
It isn't just the fact that GM imported a Holden car, but they botched the name by trying to turn a kangaroo into a goat. Pontiac is rich in heritage, and it is sad what GM did to Pontiac over the years. Bunkie Knudson reshaped Pontiac as a performance division during a time of suffereing, and appointed talented engineers to provide cars and powerplants that offered high performance, as that was becoming more popular in the 50s. Pontiac strived to become the performance division, their engineers competing (and outdoing) that of Chevrolet. On the track, they were stealing Chevy's thunder, and GM's biggest division didn't like that. GM suppressed Pontiac to protect Chevy (Chevy had the most pull at GM since they were the lower end, value car division, thus the most sales). They implemented a "racing ban", where the divisions couldn't produce factory racing parts or cars containing them. Chevy was officially told the same thing, but people under the table (like Smokey Yunick) helped develop race parts for Chevy and Chevy didn't suffer, while Pontiac did. To combat that, people like John Delorean reshaped Pontiac, since they couldn't produce racing cars or parts, they decided that they would produce a high performance street car. Enter the GTO. Once again, Pontiac steals Chevy's thunder, but now on the street. All that leads to more tension between the ranks and GM comes down on them again by telling "all divisions" that they couldn't use Tri-power induction (which Pontiac advertised heavily, remember the Tiger commercials?), but the Corvette used it on 427 models up to 1969. And all ponycar and midsize vehicles were limited to 400 cubic inches by GM, which included the Firebird and GTO, but somehow 427s made it into the Camaro and Chevelle. The Pontiac vs. Chevy rivalry lasted until the early 1980s, when GM killed Pontiacs motor division and introduced corporate motors. Then, magically, racing became allowable again, but only for the Chevy engine, so Pontiac could only tweak the Chevy engine and put their name on the valve cover. Pontiac lost it's soul. This new GTO can't replicate what the original represented, nor will it ever. Leave the past alone. If it has a heritage, a story, don't try to rebirth it with some half-assed replica just to shoot up sales (which it didn't accomplish, anyway).

Silver Member

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 116
I agree with everyones opinions on Ford. The new muatang GT is a awesome car for the money and the new gt500 will be even better when it comes out. a blown 5.4L....can it get any better in a new stock car? A quick change in pulies would land you the same HP and TQ as the GT40 since there is only a difference of 3.5 PSI in boost.

But the one thing about the GTO is that yeah, for the money it isnt really worth it, and yeah it does fairly resemble the grand prix, but seriously, the power the car has stock and the feel of the car does not make it bear a "crappy made" car. So all in all, great car, wrong name, over priced.

Silver Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 151
You know what's great... Look at all the threads with more than like 50ish posts and see the conversation evolve to being about absolutely nothing to do with the topic...

Bronze Member

Caro, MI US

Post Number: 19
Holden is GM's sister company. Holden also makes a new version el camino based of the 2000 style impala's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
the ford gt is the most worthless car ever- basically becasue ford refuses to sell them to anyone without a f1 license or a platinum record label

Bronze Member
Username: Proks

Post Number: 22
Your car would be 10sec car...if it fell out of an airplane AHAHAHAHAH, my 90 olds would probly beat that garbage car of yours HAHA

Silver Member

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 119
actually ford will sell them to anyone who can afford it. and worthless? A 40% stiffer chassis then a ferrari f360, 550hp, and the fact that just sitting in it makes you feel like your in a race car. Go to your local ford dealer adnb see if tehy have one, sit in it and you will think differently.

And BTW, if any of you ever drive/ get a ride in one, its amazing! the blower is about a foot behind you at head level behind glass and the sound is INCREDIBLE. A very impressive car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us