Wiring question

Username: Schnizo

Post Number: 3
I'm wiring a jl 500/1 and a 300/4. Would I benefit from using 1/0 main power from battery then going to 4 gauge a the distribution or should I use 4 gauge from battery? Do I put a fuse between the battery and the fused distribution block or do the fuses on the distribution block do the work?

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 31
if you ever plan to run something that requires 2gauge or lower go with the 1/0, if not stick with the four. you should always put a fuse between the battery and amp. if your amp has fuses on it, then you generally do not need a fused dist. block, if it doesnt have a fuse on it you need a fused dist. block.

Anonymous

I've seen a lot of posts on different boards where people really don't understand what the main fuse on the battery is for. That fuse is not there to protect your amps it is there to protect your vehicle and the people in it.
So you want the fuse to be as close to the source of electricity (battery) as possible. If the main power wire gets a short in it you want power cut off outside the passangers compartment.

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 32
i never said it was there to protect your amps, i simply said that a fuse needs to be between your amp and battery. but you are right, it does need to be mounted to the battery as close as possible. you are also right about passenger protection, but it also protects the amp.

Anonymous

I wasn't talking directly to you Jerrone, just making a general comment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us