KNEWOOD KDC 7011 stuck face out, half on, cd inside - won't open or turn off/on

Unregistered guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i REALLY need help. i had a newer Pioneer stolen and ended up breaking out my old Kenwood KDC 7011.

once i got it all plugged in and ready to go, i popped in a cd, had it playing and when i was doing this test, i was juyst holding the power line with my thumb and finger, it slipped and the power was cut to the deck while the cd was playing.

this is the deck that turns backwards when you shut it off.

well, NOW i can't turn it off or on...no music is playing, it's sitting there FACE OUT with a little glow going on but no numbers or words.

won't eject or anything, and seems like it is 'half' on, the only way i can shut it off now is by unplugging it....when i plug it back in, it makes a whirring noise then turns on a small glow and just sits there!

what do i do?????

i will send free Tshirt and cd to whoever helps me first, i want tunes back in my car!!!!!!!!

;]

sindaddyrocks@aol.com

Unregistered guest
i have the same deck with the same problem, only difference is my was workin fine and then i parked my car went into the hospital and when i came out, like 4 hrs lata it was doin this same thing....i dunno wat to tell ya im lookin for an answer 2...

Unregistered guest
I have the same model kenwood kdc7011, I removed it from my old car and lost the box, can you help me w/ the code to unlock the stereo, and steps

ztuck
Unregistered guest
I don't know if anyone is still interested in this post but I do know that Kenwood models with the flip face had a tendency for the ribbon cable to the faceplate to break or stress and cause the unit not to power on. This problem presents itself in a number of ways. The unit could be completely dead or it might play radio but no functionality from the faceplate. I'm not really sure if this is the problem in your case. I'm an electronics engineering technology student and I've seen 4 kenwood decks with this same problem in our production lab and all had this problem with the flex cable.

Username: Iverson22

Bozeman, MT USA

Post Number: 1
what you need to do is hit the reset button on the deck this happened to me a couple of times... the reset button is located bottom right corner really small and hard to see unless you know it is there under the AM button and right of AUD button, but this time make sure you at least wrap the wires around each other to get good connection =)

Username: Mark69heather

Post Number: 4
i have a kenwood kdc-7011 i got it used on ebay and i need to un lock it anyone have some kind of mastercode or some other way i could do this without sending it in

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4559
Nope. Send it to Kenwood.

Username: Iverson22

Bozeman, MT USA

Post Number: 2
you can try some random numbers as in 1..2..3..4, or call the seller up and ask them. They should know what the code is .

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4654
^Call the seller.

If you don't have a life ahead of you, try the numbers thing.

Username: Stlhooper

If you are handy you can most probably fix this by replacing the ribbon cable that runs between the face plate and the mainboard.
I just purchased this parts for $8 plus shipping at East Coast Transistor aka Kenwood Parts . com

http://www.kenwoodparts.com/parts/index.php?kwparts_Session=59b717898b0a1d979d66da213d1ce64f

It can also be purchased from a place called partstore.com http://www.partstore.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductSKU=3176776&s=froogle

The ribbon cable has about a dozen lines that allow signals and power to get back and forth from the main board to the face plate. Because the panel pivots the cable is flexible but over time the thin metal film leads will eventaully break, some functionality can still exist or become intermittant but eventually you will lose total control.
I actually drove my car for a bout a year with it stuck on the same station and unable to adjust the volume, eventually I lost the LED panel completeley.

First, Do not try to force the panel to swing open or closed you will break it! If you must do this it can be accomplished by pushing on the big gear on the side once you have removed the case cover. You will see it in a bit.

Second,
There is circuitry inside the receiver you should try to avoid touching as static could damage it. If you have an anti-static wrist strap use it. If not ground your self by touching a metal appliance before working on the radio and avoid touching any chips or bare metal stuff on the circuit board.

The back side of the face plate can be pried off fairly easily and that will expose the circuit card and you will see where one end of the ribbon cable plugs in. There are two tabs on each side which can be pried back, which will allow removal of the cable. Installation is just the opposite. The cable wraps around a spindle with a spring on it which allows the cable to be pulled out when the panel pivots out and it also pulls the cable back in when the panel is facing outward.
You will need to take off the unit out of the dash and then remove the outer cover I think there are 4 screws.
Once the cover is off you will have to remove the CD drive, there are 3 screws that hold it in place,as you lift it out there is a ribbon cable which connects it to the main board. Slowly lift it out and be careful, you will need to disconnect the ribbon switch by pushing back the 2 tabs on each side and then pulling back the cable. I recommend removing the cable from the CD drive instead of the main board, that will make it easier when its time to reinstall.
Just to the side of where the CD drive ribbon cable, is the panel cable you will see it is wrapped around the spindle I spoke about earlier. Disconnect it from the main board and replace it with your new cable and reassemble.

One thing you should know is that this unit can be protected by a password by the owner..as an anti-theft tool.
If you used that when you initially purchased the radio I hope you remember what it was. If the unit was not setup with that code feature you will find the unit should work after hooking it up.

Hey, if for some reason this doesn't fix it your only out $20. If it works out you have saved your self a bundle. I think I paid $350 for this receiver about 7 years ago.Upload

Username: Marpid

Do you have the part number for this ribbon cable?

Username: Stlhooper

Post Number: 2
The part # is J84-0093-13

FLEXABLE RIBBON CABLE FOR FACE KDC7011 KDC8011
East Coast is still selling these for $ 8.00 + shipping. Some guy on E-Bay is selling them for $19.50 + $5.00 shipping.
I reccomend East Coast they'll take your order over the phone and ship it out fast.
BTW there are two ribbon cables in this unit. The other one runs to the CD laser. If your problem is a bad display go with the part number above.

Good Luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us