Are Alpine Head Units pothole friendly?

Username: Cyborgia

Post Number: 1
I am about to upgrade my mk4 fiesta ghia x to an alpine 9807 and some apline compnents in the front, maybe some 6x9 coax's in the rear. My main concern is that any in dash cd players ive heard recently skip when they car hits a bump.

Is this alpine unit likely to skip like i have experienced with other headunits? I currently have a very stable setup (all be it oem and bit lacking in the sound dept). I dont really want to regret shelling out £140 for a good head unit to find it skips.

http://www.cel-direct.com/detail.asp?ProductID=2586

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1589
you shouldn't experience any skipping with an Alpine.
their anti-shock mechanisms have been leading edge for over a decade in their CD players.

heck we used to have an alpine CD changer mounted to a paint shaker as a demonstration at our shop. the thing wouldn't skip a beat when you turned the shaker on with the changer mounted right to it, and the changer was in a clear case so you could see it working.

Anyway, I'm using a 9813 in my grand cherokee now, which isn't the kindest vehicle for suspension off-road (which we have a lot of in rural michigan) and it doesn't skip. You should be fine.

Username: Cyborgia

Post Number: 2
I called my local dealer regarding costs for fitting. He mentioned that if i was upgrading my speakers that i would have to wire the head unit straight to the battery, this sounds a bit unusual. Its a 4x60 Peak head unit powering probably 100-120 Watt peak speakers, surely this wouldnt be a problem i used to run 120 watt kenwood speakers of a 30 watt peak headunit and i had no problems

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1602
the Alpine you're considering uses the Vdrive internal amplifier, which is 27W x 4. that's ~110 watts of power, and about 10-15A of current draw.
Your previous head unit didn't produce that much power, and the ratings of the speakers really have no bearing on this as long as the impedance is still 4 Ohms.

Alpine recommends strongly that you use a 10AWG line fused, directly to the battery terminal for that head unit.
I recommend the same.
I did that with my Jeep and my Alpine.

Bronze Member
Username: Squattingdog

Post Number: 16
I got my 9815 yesterday and today took it on a country road and after several minutes of non-stop shaking my car was ready to fall apart but the alpine didn't miss a beat.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us