Help?

Username: Thelonewolf

Post Number: 1
Ok here is the deal i am trying to set up my car(95 saab 900se hatchback) i have an eclipse deck it is an older one but it is nice. I want to put in Audiobahn ABP12T Dual 12" Subs(800rms)(1600max) and i am gonna get a Audiobahn Digital CTCAP1.0D 1 Farad Capacitor because i know it will help, but i want a cheap good amp and i have no idea, i was looking at a 1600W MOSFET 2 Ch Amp w/Remote SoundStorm F2800 but someone told me it is crap, i dont want to blow windows out but i want a nice sounding hitting system i was also considering a 2000W Cyclone CA2098 2 Ch Bridgeable MOSFET Car Amp so if anyone could reccomend a cheap good amp or let me know if either of these would be ok it would be much apreciated... i dont know much about car amps.

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 341
first, like most people on here will tell you caps do more bad then good, and as far as a nice sounding hitting system, you won't get it from audiobahn(so if you haven't bought those subs yet DON'T) look into Kicker cvr or a alpine type R or a infinity for cheap good subs, and for a good amp on a budget stick to hifonics/MTX/JBL

Post Number: 3
my friend has audiobahn and they hit pretty nice.. and he has a cap and it hasnt cause any problems.. i have never heard of mtx. and the reason i likes that audiobahn setup is it is cheap, nice looking with the box and i have heard of the name and seen some of thier stuff

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8793
Ricky, if you've never heard of MTX, I'd strongly urge you to spend some more time researching car audio before making any purchases. MTX has been a major force in the car audio realm for over two decades.

Capacitors do not in any way help voltage issues. That's a myth and gimmick advertising. Nobody has ever proven a case to show the benefit of a capacitor for stablizing voltage rails. At best, a capacitor can minimize propagation delay of current delivery, and act as an AC ripple filter.
What does help, is a high output alternator to supply ample current for the added demands of the audio system.

audiobahn is chromed, cheaply built crap. It gets loud, it's cheap, but it lacks reliability and sound quality, which are two of the things most people desire when spending their hard earned money. The reason you see so much audiobahn in stores and cars, is because the company enforces a sales quota on any retailer of their product, demanding a minimum amount of monthly sales, which in turn forces these retailers and sales people to shove the products into the faces of consumers at every turn to meet these quotas.

Dicky
Unregistered guest
For one thing glasswolf, kicker is going out of business,beacuase of Circuit City, And another is that any person who has delt with subwoofers will tell you for sound quallity Audiobahn is great.

Ricky, I suggest Audiobahn amps, Cadence amps, or Hifonics

Post Number: 5
GlassWolf thank you greatly for your input, i live in a very rural area and the reason i havent heard of mtx is because they dont sell it around here. i dont know a lot about this stuff because i never really was interested because i never had a decent car till recently, my focus was my home stereo. i do know what a Cap does, i studoes electricity for 2 years. anyway i have only heard a few audiobahn systems and they were alright, loud yes they seemed pretty good, i dont know about reliability though. so if you have any reccomendations for a good setup it would be much apreciated, i would like to run 2 12" subs with good sound and hitting power but dont need to blow out the windows or be heard 1 mile away, my price range is a max of like 400$ thanks

Username: Suthurnlatino

Post Number: 7
MTX is sold here at Circuit Citys. When I went to one they pushed Kicker on me but they had mostly low end stuff. The only good thing is that they had some midrange Alpine HUs for cheap.

BTW Dicky where do you get that comment of Kicker going out of business? My local installer dumped Xtant in favor of Kicker just because of marketshare purposes. A lot of local high end shops specializing in uncommon brands around my area have been closing up.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8813
Dicky, Stillwater Design isn't going anywhere, and Audiobahn, who circuit city also carries, and with whom I've dealt since their inception, is still crap, if for no other reason than their shady and questionable business practices.
Audiobahn sounds great to people who've never heard anything better. That's probably right where you fall in.

thanks for the opinions though.

Ricky, that's fine. I understand, and everybody started somewhere. I was just suggesting you spend time researching before spending.. Impulse buying can kill ya in car audio. Better safe than sorry.
If you've studied electronics, you know a capacitor's voltage follows that of it's circuit, so if the alternator gets overdrawn, the capacitor voltage rails will sag right along with that of the alternator. This is why they don't help for voltage issues in cars.

a recommendation for subs in that range would be two Alpine Type R 12" subs/ If you purchase from an on-line retailer, you'll get better pricing. I'd go with a ported enclosure for those subs, and fed each one about 300-350 watts. If you get a pair of dual 2 ohm coil model subs, then any 2 ohm stable mono amplifier around 600 watts @ 2 ohms will drive them well. There are a lot of good amps, affordable, that put out 600x1 @ 2 ohms
JBL, Kicker, MTX, Alpine, JL Audio e-series, and so forth

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Alright thanks again for the input.

Dicky
Unregistered guest
glass boy...this is the catagory i fall in www.cadencesound.com check out the triplex subwoofers with a pair of them on a 1200w mono block.... they out slam them alpines and them kickers

Dicky
Unregistered guest
the reason i say there goin out of business is because they have dropped all the prices by almost half on the subs.... Circuit City has a warranty on all there products. And kicker is known to bust... thus circuit city ships the broken product and they cant replace them and make money off of them at the same time.... U Fillin Me

Bronze Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 24
Dicky i would put my kicker system againts yout cadence system any day, and another thing dont hate on Glass, he probaly has more knowledge of car audio in his hand than you have in your whole body and your ugly system

Dicky
Unregistered guest
www.candaaudio.com/images/mazda_rear.jpg. eat your heart out Mr. Brown

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8844
Kicker;s solobarics are the defectively designed speakers.
The amplifiers and CompVR line of subwoofers are quite exemplary. I've commented numerous times on exactly what's wrong with the square sub designs, so that's nothing new. Kicker has happily replaced damaged solobarics free of charge for years now however, and it hasn't affected their stock in any noticeable manner.

"check out the triplex subwoofers with a pair of them on a 1200w mono block.... they out slam them alpines and them kickers"
Since you're literacy challenged, and apparently didn't read my profile, I'm running a pair of RE XXX 12s as well, each on a modified 2250SX with about 1300+wRMS to each one, and while I agree the XXX will have better SQ due to it's BL, and with that much power they are louder, at $369 each, plus shipping from RE, they aren't exactly in the same catagory as the CVR or Type R, which retail for about $300 per pair new in a store.

I like the fiberglass work in that Mazda in the picture, but the amplifier mounting is very sloppy, with all of the exposed cables and interconnects, the processor mounted where it is.. just poorly thought out and executed. It'd look much better if you'd sunk the amps under the fiberglass fascia, or at least used end caps on the amplifiers to hide all of the connections at the ends with blank caps.

by the way, why did you post a link to the homepage for Cadence? They make pretty middle of the road to entry level gear anyway, but I didn't see anything there that had anything to do with you yourself. If you're happy with your Mazda though, that's what counts in the end. It's a waste of time to spend your money to impress other people. Most people don't care or know the difference.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 332
If thats even your car, I highly doubt you installed any of that yourself. Anyone can go to a shop with a pocket full of their parents money and buy the best installation the installer could think of at the time.

Bronze Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 32
dicky, please stop.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us