Problem

Johnny19888
Unregistered guest
I was just casually driving to the store today, and everything was working fine (I did have the music up pretty loud though). When I got out of the store, the green light on my amp remote didnt light up, and I was getting no sound out of my subs. I checked the fuse in the front, but just the glass was cracked, would that stop it from functioning? If not what could be the problem?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8754
yes, that would cause teh fuse to be bad.
if you want to be sure, check it for continuity with a multimeter.

Johnny19888
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help.

Johnny19888
Unregistered guest
Alright man I replaced the fuse. But instead of putting in an 80 amp fuse, I accidentally put in a 60 amp fuse. When I turned on my car I heard a popping sound from the back. I think I blew my amp, because it was smoking. Now do you think it blew because I put in a 60 amp fuse intsead of an 80 amp? Or could it have been something else?

Johnny19888
Unregistered guest
Also is there a possiblity that my subs could have been damaged as well?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8805
well the 60A is smaller than the 80A, so the 60A would blow faster if the amp had a problem.
apparently your amplifier may have failed, and the fuse even being 60A, was too large to protect the amplifier properly.

best thing to do is go to a local shop and have the system diagnosed, if you don't have the tools and know-how yourself to go through the system and find the problems.

Johnny19888
Unregistered guest
Ok well the amp has 2 40 amp fuses, so shouldnt the 60 amp fuse have been able to protect it? Anyway I think the amp blew because it was really crappy anyways (Pyle, yeah I know it sucks no need to remind me). There doesnt seem to be any wiring problems. So Im guessing the amp just blew because it sucked. Do you agree, or do you think it was still something else?

But I still dont get why it blew when I put in the new fuse, because Im not even sure if the other 80 amp one was functioning or not.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8842
you're on the money.
I think the amp just failed due to poor design and quality issues
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us