Where should I look to buy caps and inductors for a passive crossover

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3324
I'd like to get just midrange 6.5" speakers, and try to build my own passive crossovers. I already have a pair of tweeters ready to mount in my dash reflecting off the windshield, and I'd rather build my own crossovers and learn, instead of getting a component set.

I understand how to build the crossover, but I don't know where I should buy the parts from. And if anybody else has built their own, I would really appreciate any advice.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 401
I'm actually wondering the same thing. I need to make a 12 db/oct crossover.

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 43
If you know what you need, try mouser electronics or digikey.

Both are huge suppliers of passive, active, and many other electronic components. Pay attention to the specs and materials for the caps and chokes.

I've ordered from mouser before, and have had good results (various IC's for a school project).

mouser.com
digikey.com

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3331
Thanks I'll check them out.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3335
Also, how would I go about putting it all together? Do you sotter the stuff onto a printed board, or do you simply wire everything together?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8778
you can use a breadboard or etch a circuit board for the crossovers, or simply solder the wire leads together carefully, then tape/heatshrink them to protect from the elements if they go in door panels etc.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3338
Cool, thanks glass. I was gonna solder everything and then shrink wrap it, just wanted to make sure it would work fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us