Using a capacitor to block bass

Bronze Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 26
Just won a set of Polk Audio EX365 6.5's on ebay and was looking in the manual that you can use a 200 microfarad 100V non-polarized capacitor in series with your +'ve lead to block bass from your speaker. I'm building a system on a serious budget and was wondering how well this works. I have 2 12" subs so I only need these for mids and highs

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8726
a single capacitor alone is a first order crossover and gives a very shallow 6dB/octave slope.
using a choke with the capacitor you can build a 12dB slope 2nd order crossover that'd be a bit mroe effective

Bronze Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 27
Glass, When you say a choke you mean an inductor right? and what kind of ratings should I look for?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8767
yes an inductor coil, air core. and use mylar capacitors if given the choice.

www.the12volt.com has diagrams and charts for calculating the values of teh caps and chokes based on the desired slope and frequency you want to cut off.

look at the left menu, go to passive filters, high pass, 2nd order 12dB, and pick the cutoff frequency you want and write down the values for C1 and L1 etc given in the charts

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 354
does the12volt.com use formulas for linkwitz-riley or butterworth crossovers?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8886
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross.asp

only thing they cover are basic crossovers through 3rd order, and zobel stabilizing filters.
It's not that hard to find information for Butterworth and L-R filters on-line though, if you desire them.
It really depends on how much time you want to spend calculating values, and how much money you want to spend on the components.. and I always try to use the best stuff I can get my paws on.. air core coils, mylar caps, etc.. none of the cheap crap you find in parts stores most places.

I'm looking at rebuilding the crossover modules for my DynAudio frontstage now, to change the slopes from the stock 6dB to something steeper like 24dB to see what sort of change that makes in the imaging of the 3-ways.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 364
where do you buy your caps and inductors? partsexpress.com? Anyway, would you say that using a $20 cap versus a $5 polypropylene cap would cause a noticable difference. The reason I ask is because I decided to build a pair of speakers for my dorm. I would kind of feel stupid spending 20 bucks apice for capacitors when the drivers themselves only cost $28 each. I've tried talking using the home audio side of the forum but nobody over there was particularly helpful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us