Audiobahn A8000t HEAT issues. SUGGESTIONS?

Username: Cdub

Slaptown, LP, CA USA

Post Number: 5
Ok, like the subject says...the amp is over heating..that mother f'er gets hot! I could probably fry an egg on that thing...the thermal protection kicks in probably 5 minutes after it starts hitting. I do have the it mounted on the back of my sub box due to the fact i have no room to put it horizontal. Is there any way i could cool it down so it wont shut off so much??? I have heard of people putting new fans in it. How about mounting it sideways instead of up and down?? HELP? thanks

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 584
Sounds like you have the subs wired wrong. Try a higher ohm.

Slaptown, LP, CA USA

Post Number: 6
They are dvc 2ohm subs...i wired them in series for 2ohm load on the amp which is for 800rms...wirings good on my part

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 34
you sure you wired em in series.....cuz it sounds like it's going into a 1ohm load and overheating.....you could have your gain set to high....that can cause it to heat up to fast. and do you have proper gage wire going to it? i know they might sound like stupid ?'s but you never know till you ask. every audiobahn amp i have setup runs fairly cool.....and i wouldn't mount it to the box no matter what.....the vibrations will mess with it.....had a JL 1000/1 die on me that way...it ran real hot after a while and then died from some internal damage due to vibrations!

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 35
actually if they are 2 oh dvc subs you can't wire em to a 2 ohm load.....it's either a 1ohm or 4ohm load......check your wiring man..... you have 2 or just one sub? cuz if you series the subs then run them paralel bridged on that amp you should see a 2 ohm load then....just double check and make sure they are setup that way.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Yeah, it sounds like you wired two 2ohm subs parrallel all the way through.

If you were wired in series all the way through, you'd have an 8ohm load (incorrect)
If you were wired in series then parrallel, you'd have a 2ohm load. (OK)
If you were wired parrallel, then series, you'd still have a 2ohm load (OK)
However if you're wired parrallel all the way through, you're pushing a 0.5ohm load (Very Bad)

This would explain the very quick overheat problem.

You want to series only the DVC on each sub. Then wire the two together in parrallel. Make sure you're wired (+) to (-) to (+) to (-) on each individual sub. Then wire the two subs together ( + + ) to ( - - ).

Username: Suthurnlatino

Post Number: 5
It seems like you have a 8-ohm load on the amp. You need to wire it like Allende said for 2-ohms. This website should help you out as it has pictures. http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Slaptown, LP, CA USA

Post Number: 7
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=19&image.y=13

its wired like Option #2...i thought that was series if im wrong sorry about the confusion, but this is how i have it wired...I have 16awg speaker wire hooked up to the subs and the gain isnt up to high...also it seems to only heat up during the day and im in california, its not extremely hot but id probably say 80s-90's outside

allende5
Unregistered guest
I'm from California too. It's been very hot where I am lately (90-100's). My car with the system in it is down right now, so I haven't been using it in this heat.

What kind of car do you have and where to you have your amps mounted? It's very possible that it's just too darn hot and they're simply not getting any ventillation.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3742
Use a DMM and check. It'll tell you exactly.
You can always install a better fan or add additional cpu fans. Not very hard to do.
An amp overheating within 5 mins is a sure sign of incorrectly set gain/level or most likely, exceeding the minimum ohm requirement.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us