Help hitting 150+db

Username: Intel_p4

Post Number: 1
Ok now I need help and totaly lost..

My goal is to hit 150+ db.

Now what amp and sub(s) should I use?
And box type, ported, sealed, bandpass?

The car is a 1997 sunfire with the back seat that can fold down so semi hatch back lol.

The car has been insolated and extra thick weater striping to help stop road noise and leaks.

I know It will be hard reaching 150db but anyone out there have hit 150 or better and can help me out i would really aprecate it..

Thank u.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 374
do u want any SQ at all or does that not matter? if not, it would save you mula.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3301
Do you care about anything else besides hitting 150? I take if your gonna compete with this car, so the first thing I could suggest is getting the largest alternator you can find, and then upgrade your big 3 to 1/0 gauge. Run 1/0 gauge to the back, where you have a bank of batteries, seperate from your starting battery. From there, there's millions of possible sub and amp combinations. For spl, you'll want a ported or bandpass box. Your gonna need some subs that displace a lot of air, a ton of power, and a very well built enclosure.

Post Number: 2
I have everything covered right to the trunk. wire, batteries ect....

Just need an amp and sub combo that will hit 150db+ and sound good for everyday pounding.

And kill at my local sound offs.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8646
got at least 5 grand to spend?

Post Number: 3
money is not an option.

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 262
you can easily do that if money is not an option and probly better. My friend has a car that hit 151.5 with a HO alt, 3 batteries, 4 diamond audio subs with 4 diamond audio 1000w amps. That wouls only cost like a few grand.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8654
money is no object usually translates to I'm pipe dreaming because I can't actually afford a system right now.. so go nuts!

I don't really have time to work on dream systems for people.. that could be a full time job

Post Number: 4
Ok thanks for your help but i have been gifted with money so for me it is no problem.

What do u think 2 12 inch w7's in the right box with a JL 1200.1 amp will hit?

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 26
1200.1 i am thinking you meant 2 1000/1 amps....with money no option go for the 13.5 versions and a 1000/1 on each.....in a ported box it will be loud as hell and still have some good sound quality. if you don't hit 150 with that you will be close to it!!

Post Number: 5
thanks.
I cant wait :-)

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 263
Just another option is do this... http://reaudio.com/html/# go there and look at a couple XXX or MT's and run them with RE's amplifier or the Ed nine.1 (elementaldesigns.com). Also check out Digital Designs 9917, the MTX 9500, and Eclipse Titanium. As for amps the Ed nine.1 is REALLY a nice amp with a 1200wrmsX1 @ 1 ohms. All those are possiblities, research them all and choose for yourself. Hope that helped.

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 56
I heard the ED Nine.1 is pretty much a hifonics? Same manufacturer & everything?

Seth

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 381
from what people say in here...its one of the best deals around...thats means much better class than hifonics...good quality amp for $350 shipped straight from the manufacturer

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8658
the W8 isn't really an SPL sub.
If you want decent SQ with a lot of SPL look ar RE's SX series subs.
stick two tens in a 6th order enclosure, and you'd hit that range.
stick two fifteens in there ported and feed each one ample power and you may hit close to 150 but with much better SQ

by the way did you pick 150 out of a hat? have you ever sat in a car hitting 150 on a termlab mic in all honesty? It's literally painful and not an enjoyable experience. You can't breathe, you feel like throwing up, and you can't stay in a vehicle at that volume for more than a few seconds without permanent hearing damage.
I really think you'd be quite happy if you were in the 140s for a daily driver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Heed GlassWolf's advice. 150 is twice the percived volume of 140..and at 140, you're rattling things in houses.. :-) I hit close to 150, but I also have two sets of earplugs, and two sets of gun shooters muffs, as well..(Dont really ever use them..but then again, dont really ever crank it that high, either..)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
And FYI - Jeremy, 140 is painful, as well, IMO.. (Not so much anymore to me...kind of gotten used to it, but definately initially.) Heh. And even exposure to 140's dB can definately cause some serious hearing loss over time. Just be careful if you're going for pure SPL...I started out this way, and now find myself slowly shifting to SQ..

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 92
hitting at 150 db ?? All of you guy help him commit suicide. lol

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 809
i'm gonna go w/ glass and seth on this one.
150db is loud...i'm doing only 145dB on the TL and its darn loud.

if you are lookin at just SPL...i dont recommend the JL w7, you can get louder w/ a less expensive sub. Like Chris says, look into RE MTs and DD subs (3500's, 9500's, and 9900's). The RE X.X.X. is a really good sub, but its kinda more of an SQ sub. Dont get me wrong, it will get loud...but and RE SX would be a little more efficient. All and all, if i were you i'd look into either 2 15" SX's (or DD3515's) w/ bout an 8 cu ft box or an 18" RE MT.

As for a box design and tuning freq.....all you can do is test and test and test. Since i'm doing 145db in a truck w/ 1 SX15 in a box that flexes like crazy...i'm sure w/ some testing and bout 2500wrms, 150dB is more than do-able in your car. (you just have to know what your doing)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8676
best advice to raech 150dB, is take the car to a professional who works with a lot of SPL competition cars. He'll know what he's doing and he'll know all the tricks to getting more out of the install.
Pay someone with experience and you'll get what you want.

sorry for the typo before, I meant W7 not W8.
I just saw that, scrolling down.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3306
He probably has never sat in a vehicle that can reach db's over say 130 or so.

And Seth, I agree with you, even 140 is painful, if exposed to it for a few minutes.

I guess now a days people just don't care about hearing, or they haven't had any problems yet so they don't care. I can tell you that I damaged my right ear a year or so ago, and everyonce in a while I lose all hearing in that ear for a few minutes, and other times it just rings very loudly. My buddy is also losing hearing in his left ear, because we were idiots and blew our drums out listening to our systems cranked. Now adays when I drive around, you probably wouldn't even know I had a system from the outside, becaus I listen to music at normal levels, levels that it was meant to be listened to.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8698
I think the reality is most people don't have a firm grasp of actual SPL levels.
They don't know what 130, 140, 150dB really is.
They see numbers in magazines, and on websites, and they want to be in a range that makes people ooh and ahh. The problem with this is that in actuality, 140dB is more than enough for a person if they want to sit in the car with the stereo.

People just aren't awed by scores in the 130s, but in reality, most peoples' systems are in the 120s and 130s, if they know it or not.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1811
How many decibals can a single Eclipse Ti 15 hit .

I know James hit 146 with this 1 Avalanche 15 Sealed according to him.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3307
Really? He never told me that. He did say that supposedly Hunter hit 140 something at 30 - 35 hz, (can't remember) with an Avalanche 15".

I'm running the same exact setup as James, but I haven't gotten it metered yet. I know it's gonna be different because of our vehicles, but at least his score sounds encouraging.

Post Number: 6
Yes I had a 91 civic hatch back with two 12's and 2 tens. filled the whole trunk right to the roof.. u could not look out the back window lol.

And it was all run off 2 PPI 1500w amps and hit 139.4 db.

I just want to hit 150 to beat this little punk in a acura.

Post Number: 7
So would this kick
2x12 inch RE SX subs Nice ported inclosure.
1X JBL Power BPX2200.1 2450W RMS X 1 @4OHMS

Thing is it must also sound killer.

Silver Member

New York

Post Number: 265
JBl bpx series made by crown are nice amps. I think that would be an awsome setup.

Post Number: 8
Just one more question. the subs r dual 2ohm voice coils so after i wire the two up it will be 2ohms.

And Jbl told me that it will produce 1850-1900w max into a 2ohms load.

So that will give me 925w max into each sub which is only 462.5w rms.

Not what I am looking for at all.. sounded good

Silver Member

New York

Post Number: 267
they must have ment 1850rms to a maximum of 1900 rms. THat amp puts out about 2000 rms at any ohm load 1-4. ask again

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 583
Yea, well GlassWolf told me my 12" Audiobahns and my Sony 2,000 watt amp will his 210db! :P

Post Number: 9
Well i have decided to get 2 RE XXX 12'S.

Now for amps i have 2 pick one of the following.

Kicker KX 2500.1
Or
JBL BPX 2200.1

What would be the better amp for my subs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us