Need Advice..problem with Kenwood excelon 12's

Username: Dcallahan

Post Number: 1
whatup yall
i own two 12" Kenwood Excelon xw1225db's (have a max power intake of 1200 watts each and 4ohm+4ohm dual voice coils). Powering them is my Kenwood kac-1023 amp. It puts out 1200 watts (max) and is two ohm stable. Recently i paralleled each of the subs' dual voice coils, and then series'ed both woofers together to...in the end, give my amp a 4 ohm mono load. 2 months later, each sub blew...out of no where.

So, after replacing each sub for nothing (dad owns a Kenwood distribution company), i paralleled each of the subs' dvc's and ran two seperate 2 ohm stereo load to the amp. They pumped just as load as my previous setup but longer...this time it took them 2 and a half months to blow...

I have 2 brand new xw-1225db's sitting in my garage, unopened, because i am still debating on whether or not i should wire them back up. I am out of ideas and I refuse to run high ohm loads to my amp because my amp is a monster amp and i want to use its entire capabality.

Ideas? am i wasting my time here?

oh yea i am running a HUGEE fuse from the battery with a 4 gauge wiring kit, so i know the problem has nothing to do with power supply or amp spiking.

Please respond with advice, has anyone else experienced problems with these subs? (not to mention, they're the best subwoofer Kenwood currently manufacturers..besides the super subs going for $1,000.. but lets not go there).

someone
Unregistered guest
Kenwood Subs just suck. That's all that needs to be said.

Username: Dcallahan

Post Number: 2
Hey i figured it out

i was unaware that when an amp is on mono/lpf mode, it internally parallels each sub

so my amp was seeing 1 ohm, therefore busting open the coils..thankfully i didnt kill the amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us