Step on the Brake or Downshift ?

Unregistered guest
If you cannot tell where the radar is coming from, is it better to brake hard at a strong signal or more slowly via downshifting?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8586
depends on signal strength, traffic, location, etc.
also depends on if downshifting is an option.

I use an automatic transmission (manual reverse valve body) so in case of radar detection, or worse, being paced, I have a relay wired to a switch on the control panel for the car (transbrake enable, N2o activation and purge, line lock enable, etc) to disable the brake lights without affecting tail lights at night.
when switched, this disables the brake lights so I can brake fairly hard without any outward indication aside from the nose of the car diving a bit.

I don't condone doing this as it's somewhat illegal, but it works fairly well if you're a pretty responsible driver to begin with.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3733
That's a sneaky idea GW. Does it really work? Here in Canada, it's all laser. Once they clock you, no way out.
I wish they still used the old radar guns.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8648
laser is expensive, and most cops in this area are all K band radar. Not all patrol cars have radar as well, so they'll pace you on the highway in hopes of not alerting you to their presence with radar.
In that case it works just great.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 379
I live suffolk county, NY...highest paid cops in the WORLD...not just the country...Everyone uses laser and nothing else. NY is made for speed traps as the flow of traffic is 75-85 mph in 55-65 mph zones.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
takes 5 years of being on a waiting list to be considered for a police job here.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8663
my solution was sleeping with one of the city cop's daughter. That got me out of pretty much every time I got pulled over.. city or state.
That's one good thing about small towns. You mention a name and everybody knows who it is.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3737
That can be a double edged sword GW. If you fu*k up the relationship, you could be on their hit list for a looooooong time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
very tru...that brake light trick is a very clever one.

Accord
Unregistered guest
Why not just pull the e-brake no lights come on anyway and you can downshift via manual transmission as well not way to know if you are braking or slowingdown because the car doesnt dip much and lights wont come on anyway.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9269
several reasons:
at 70+MPH the hand brake won't do much. it's only a secondary, small set of pads on the rear brakes with no power assist, and you'll snap the brake line before it makes any real difference to your speed, whereas the actual brakes have all 4 wheels with, in my case, 4 piston calipers and an electric master cylinder to slow the car down.
My car isn't a normal manual transmission. it's a manual valve body automatic, and being a 3 speed, downshifting to second at 70+ is tantamount to dropping the transmission out of the car and blowing out the rear end with 4.11 gears in back.
I don't worry much about the nose diving though since I already have close to 800lbs of motor in the front of the car anyway so the suspension doesn't have a lot of travel downward.

I can get the car up to around 120+MPH in a quarter mile, so at those speeds, a hand-brake just isn't an option.. particularly when it's actually a foot-positioned brake and not one by your hand. With the trans-brake and line-locks on the car already, it wasn't that hard to re-wire the brake lights when putting those in, and it's not like it really cost me anything more than a couple of bosch relays and a toggle switch to do the job.

keep in mind, your e-brake is generally for parking the car. it only works on the rear wheels, and doesn't even use the pads or shoes of the rear brakes.. it uses the e-brake shoes, which are very, very small and not very good for stopping a car at speed.. especially since 70% of your braking power is at the front wheels of the car, not the back.

hope that helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us