Refreshing Circuit City Visit

Bronze Member
Username: Carleton

Post Number: 17
I had a buzzing and power dip problem with my system after I installed an amp, so I figured that in addition to asking you guys, I'd hit up CC to see if they had any advice to give. Shockingly my query recieved actual attention even though I didnt buy anything from them or have them install anything. In addition, my use of a somewhat crappy amp didn't inspire ridicule or condecension.

After complimenting me on my first time installation (successful mostly because of you guys), one of their installers went on to advise me to run a direct power line to the headunit from the battery because honda's headunit power is apparantly slightly lower than normal. He then went on to GIVE me a fuse and some connectors, and told me how to wire it.

Why is this seemingly normal customer service refreshing? Simply because I have experienced nothing but elitist attitudes from most of the car stereo stores that I've visited as I researched what to buy. Anyways, this probably isn't an interesting story, but I found it noteworthy enough to tell, so react as you will.

As for the power dip problem, when I went back today to thank the guy for his helpful advice concerning the buzzing, he told me to try regrounding the headunit, since the stock harness ground might be faulty. I'll try that tonight, and if it works, I'll have to entirely rethink my opinion of CC.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 243
jeez man, where do you live? Where I live, the CC installers don't know the difference between a dust cap and an amp rack.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 347
i have a friend who is an installer for circuit city...he knows a lot of $hit and a lot about troubleshooting...and the other guys know even more than he does.

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 24
last time i went in CC i told em i wanted my W7 hooked up to my 1000/1 and tuned they then tried to get me some line of BS that i should just ditch the combo. and try out a audiobahn naturalQ 12 and said it would be louder and sound better. keep in mind i was just playin around about letting tune my stuff. about the only major chain i will let look at my car is Best Buy but some of the guys that work their know what they are doing and take the time to do it right.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 588
ive only met one smart person at a retail store...it was at best buy that guy actually knew what he was talking about..the other stores are idiots once some guy tried to tell me to ditch my mtx 9500 and buy a pair of sonys..i was like wtf

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 589
your power dip problem sounds alot like something i had before...does your rev meter go up and down then the car shuts down unless you keep pushing the accelerator? if so check your fuses also the power dip might mean that you need an H.O. alternator

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 348
thats because they are supposed to be salesman too and get pressured into pushing it out there...they have goals that i'm sure they have to meet. Some people may not know alot about car audio there...but most of them, do...they just try to sell $hit on top of it

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8551
there are always exceptions to rules.. in this case you found one of the few guys at CC who have a clue, and congrats on that.

the power line and ground are both good ideas, but also check to make sure the amp gain isn't set too high
the feedback from gain being set too high causes exactly what you described above.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
That's good to know... I wasn't sure what I was going to do if the new ground connection didn't work. Its weird though, because it only happens at around 21/22 and 27/28 hundred rpm. The car doesn't stall or shut down, it just drops the volume and distorts the sound.

As for the CC guys, I don't feel like I'm knowledgable enough to judge what they know or not. But I have worked retail, and it always seems like electronics salespeople feel the need to adopt a snobby attitude, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8565
could also be a lack of current from your electrical system if the alternator isn't doing the job.
way to check that is with a multimeter or VOM during use.

the VOM is ideal due to needle sweep being able to read easier for momentary dips.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Do you mean measuring the current from the battery? Or at the head unit harness? Or neither?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4602
haha, i got kicked out of best buy, cause i decided to watch an installer install a HU in a CRV and i WATCHED THE GUY, cut the cars harness offfff not put a HU harness on, and attempt to hook it straight up to each wire, i obviously went berserk since it was my friends crv and made a huge scene and they made me leave the premises lol

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 21
I think he means that when the current supply goes down, the voltage will drop as well.

Checking amperage out of the alternator is not possible with most DMM's. Max current is ~10-20A on most meters.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8569
I mean connect a VOM to any 12VDC wire and ground in the car.
when the speakers start acting up, see if the voltage is dropping below 12 volts.

the voltage will drop throughout the car. doesn't matter where you check it.. at the head unit, amplifier, or fusebox.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3275
"haha, i got kicked out of best buy, cause i decided to watch an installer install a HU in a CRV and i WATCHED THE GUY, cut the cars harness offfff not put a HU harness on, and attempt to hook it straight up to each wire, i obviously went berserk since it was my friends crv and made a huge scene and they made me leave the premises lol"

I couldn't find a harness for my car, and didn't feel like ordering one off the net, so my Alpine deck is wired right in, wire for wire. Do you find a problem with that mr Sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 23
Nothing wrong with connecting directly to the factory wiring. Not really advised either because changing manufacturers means cutting more wires off the factory connector to get the new one replaced.

I hate using anything but solder on my connections - makes sense to spend the $5-10 on a wire harness so you can leave the factory one intact. When you go to sell the car, pull your $500 radio and install a $30 walmart. Looks almost good as oem :-)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8583
I solder the connections to a harness sure, but cutting the factory harness out means you can't easily replace the OEM radio when you sell the car. Also makes removal of a defective radio more difficult for later replacement.

its just not as good of an option, cutting out factory harnesses.
decreases the value of the car as well if teh car is worth anything.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3279
Well, for one my cars not worth a ton, haha, and second, when I sell the car I plan on leaving the headunit in it, and buying a new one for my next car. I do know where you guys are coming from though. (I was a couple years younger when I actually cut the harness and installed my first cd player, so I was dumb then...)

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4604
well joe, at least you figured it out on your own and it worked lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us