Phoenix Gold vs. JL Audio

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 337
Hey guys. I'm looking for not one, but 2 four channel amplifiers. I haven't bought the speakers yet, but 99% sure that I will be going with 2 pairs of infinity kappa perfect 6.1(1 in front doors, another in the rear deck), a pair of ininity kappa perfect 5.1(rear doors), and the 462cfp(2 ohm) or 462cfp(4 ohm) coaxial(front dash).

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 = 100 watts RMS
Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 = 100 watts RMS
Infinity coaxial 462cfp = 60 watts RMS

I've done pros and cons research of many amps, but I've narrowed it down to the JL 300/4 and the Phoenix Gold Xenon 200.4...Below are some of the important specs and the actual specs can be found on the html link. What are some opinions or suggestions on which amplifier to take.

1.) JL audio 300/4
- roughly $310 New off ebay
- 75 Watts x 2 @ (1.5-4ohms) RMS
- 0.03% THD (4 ohms)
- SN ration 108.5 db
- 12 or 24 db/oct crossover
- 24 db/oct subsonic filter (front channels only)

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/3004.html

2.) Phoenix Gold Xenon 200.4
- 100 W x 4 @ (1-4) ohms RMS (200 max)
- $315.00 shipped off of ebay.
- Bass boost @ 45 hz (optional LPL44 bass knob $27)
- 24 db/oct linkwitz-riley crossover
- SN ratio >100 db
- Fan cooled
- 8V input sensitivity

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOX2004

Help me choose which amplifier to get. Thanks guys.

Username: Kameron

LaGrange, IN United States

Post Number: 2
i'd say go with the jl's. I think they're better quality and my cousin ran that Pheonix amp in his car and was really unhappy. I'd choose the JL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
what did he replace it with? is he happy now? why was he unhappy with it?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8530
if you want to see opinions on those PG amps, go to PG's website forums and see what everyone says.. people flame or compliment the amps there all the time.. lots of interesting info there if they haven't closed it down.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 552
Kameron, you sure that wasn't a Pheonix Digital ? That would leave him dissapointed, cuz it's crap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
I know it won't disappoint all together. Something had to be wrong with the install or like you said the name. I haven't checked phoenix gold.com because I thought it would be bias, but checking around the internet...kameron's cousin is the first unsatisfied person i've read about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
The forum's are "under construction" right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
Does anybody happen to also know the THD @ 4 ohms? I read somewhere >1.0%...but i'm assuming that is when it is driven at 1 ohm, not 4 ohms...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8552
THD is rather pointless by itself, and can be a misleading bit of information.
no modern amp should produce enough distortion to be audible under any circumstances if it's built properly and installed/tuned corectly.

that mans no clipping due to user error.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
glasswolf, what would you think would sound better considering they are basically the same price...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8588
I'd get the JL myself but either one is a good amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
yea that's what i've been leaning towards based on reviews...everyone loves the slash series...

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
I email PG and asked why I should pick their product. They said just listen to which one sounds better in a demo store. They also said customer service. If you call when they are closed and leave a voicemail, they call you back and you could speak to a human. I'd believe it to because i emailed them twice yesterday and got responses immediately...

PS...the birthsheet is also underated...one person got one for 939 watts...that would be 117 watts x 4 @ (1-4 ohms)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us