Question about Ohm's and head units

Username: Tweek52

Post Number: 5
I was wondering what the difference between say a 4 ohm speaker and a 2 ohm speaker is. I was looking at buying some Infinity Kappa 693.7i's but the head unit I have right now is my factory honda accord one. Will it run these 2 ohm speakers or must i go for the 4 ohm ones. ALso what is the difference in sound quality between the two, any help would be awesome.

Thanks
Alasdair

btw looking to get 6x9's and 6.5 component system.

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 16
Consider this analogy.

A water hose has a certain inner diameter.

Lets say hose A has a 1" ID, hose B has .5"

Assuming the water pressure (voltage) is the same, hose B will pass less volume of water (amps) than hose A.

It can be said that the resistance (similar to impedance, but impedance applies to reactive loads) of hose B is larger.

In terms of how this applies to car stereos, most HU's are already at their limits with 4 ohm loads, but introducing a 2 ohm load, you're not likely to have success.

In a matched system, there really shouldn't be any difference in sound quality per say. A 2 ohm load will draw more power from the amp (being a HU amp or external amp)than the 4 ohm speaker.

You really can't draw conclusions on volume based entirely on speaker impedance. Other factors are involved such as efficiency.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8513
a head unit can only handle a minimum of 4 ohms

ohms are a measure of resistance. the lower the resistance, the more power the amplifier will produce.
if the resistance is too low, the amp will burn up from too much heat/power
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us