My subs rev with the engine... what's wrong??

Greggs
Unregistered guest
my subs play the bass to the music but also while that is going on.. it almost sounds like an exhaust tip only on the inside of the car of course.. but i don't know why.. it just started last night for some crazy reason when i got into my car.. maybe some shifted during driving?? it's not the subs cause i checked with another set i have... help

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 232
check all your grounds, one of them may have come loose.

Greggs
Unregistered guest
all of my grounds are snug.. i checks them and tighted everything... unless it is a faulty wire.. umm... everything is how it's suppose to be.. there isn't something wrong with the rca wire??

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8482
two things:

ground loop

or

gains are set too high on the amp causing feedback

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8483
and yes a pinched RCA cable does this too but not as often as the above two things

make sure ground points are within 24" of the amplifiers, and use the same size wire as power does, and grounds are made to bare sanded chassis metal

Greggs
Unregistered guest
what do you mean by ground loop??? like.. i have my capacitor grounded and my amp grounded.. about 6 inches from each other.. if that might be the case.. why would it start now??

i'll got check the gains right now

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8485
check the head unit ground actually, not the amp's ground.

the amp and cap grounds sound alright.
check the gain setting though
turn it down to maybe one quarter turn from minimum and see if that stops the noise

Greggs
Unregistered guest
maybe there is a pinched rca... that's my only guess... cause it all worked fine for the past year up til last night...

Greggs
Unregistered guest
is the gain the same as the filter... cause to be honest i turned them all down and it was still there just not as loud... so i'm thinking it has something to do with the head unit but why would it start all of a sudden...??

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8494
filter? subsonic or LPF?
set gain to a quarter turn
set LPF to 80Hz
set subsonic filter to 20Hz

ground could come loose at the head unit, or wire could lose shielding.. lots of reasons.. heat even.. try grounding the head unit directly to bare metal though, not through the car's harnesses.
keep teh ground short and see if it helps

it could be as simple as a bad amplifier too

Greggs
Unregistered guest
it's lpf the filter.. i'm getting my system upgraded and the new amp is coming in tomorrow or the next day... when i set the stuff to that why would it be a mirable fix??? and the HU i can't really pull it out... i didn't get the tools to pull it out... it's a pioneer....

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 558
Maybe nose from the ignition wires?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8500
if you don't have the proper tools, take the car to a shop and have a professional fix it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us