Components and Subs - Upgrade?

Username: Robforton

SpangdahlemGermany

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm new to this board but it is just what I've been looking for. Quick background - listen to all types of music (rock, r&b, country, hip-hop, rap, blues, jazz, top 40), and am upgrading my current system in my 01 Cherokee.

I'm running some Alpine Coaxs but am looking to upgrade to components. A local GI has a shop and is pushing the Utopia line. The prices are cheaper compared to online, he says this is because we are overseas. From what I've heard these are pretty good, are there any better?

Also, I'm dumping my JL10W0s and am looking to run 4 10s or 2 12s. I need a sub that can handle the variety of music but still pound it out when I get the basshead itch. I am looking at the JL W7s and Eclipse SW9100Pros. The guy that has the Focals is pushing the Phoenix Gold TIs.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help, Rob.

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 237
Yeah, he right about the overseas part, and I would stick to the brands that available locally, no tax and such. The utopia's are good, and if he can get the JL's at the free market value, I would jump on them. Compare online prices to his prices, and sway toward the shop because of the customer support you can count on if needed.

SpangdahlemGermany

Post Number: 2
The guy says I can't beat the Focals for the price. As for the subs, he says the PGs sound better for the variety of music I play. He can get both PGs and JLs, but he runs PGs in his ride so there must be something there.

I can find the PGs online much cheaper, the JLs are about the same as online. But if I go this route I don't get the factory warranty, just his on the install and glass work.

I don't have a lot of experience with PGs though. I remember them for their amps, not subs. I'm pretty well aquainted with JL.

BTW, do you think I'd be crazy to run two 12s for regular tunes, and one 18 for competition?

Thanks, Rob.

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 239
Go with the JL's, and haggle with him on the price, see if he will come down if you purchase the focal's and other items. I am sure the PG's are good, but if I could get the JL's I would go with them. What kind of competition? SPL or SQ? if you went with the JL's you should do fine in either with the 2 13" setup, and I would drive them with a large monoblock to drive to full x-max, and I think you wouldn't even think about a 18.

SpangdahlemGermany

Post Number: 4
Thanks T. Rob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us