System shuts off, why?

Username: Dhouser

Post Number: 3
Okay so i hooked up my kicker kx800.4 and when i turn up the volume too loud everything shuts off, and then comes back on about 5 seconds later. Unless i turn the volume down it does it again. So i wanted to see if it was the amp so i hooked up my USAcoustics amp and it did the same thing. What causes this?

I do infact have shitty subs and will be getting new ones soon. My buddy gave me the ones i have now which are Rockford Fosgate punches, i know they are the dated version.

Could this be a problem from the subs or from the power supply or what. my headunit even shuts off.

Username: Dhouser

Post Number: 4
Also some info that might help you. I bought an amp wiring kit that came with 4 awg wire, but since i am hooking up two amps the distribution block goes from 4 awg to (2) 8 awg wires. The ground for the amp is also 8 awg wire (thats what came with the kit) I also have a 100 amp inline fuse if this at all helps.

I would run 4 awg all around but i can't find the fork connectors that big.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8451
could be a few things

amp gains set too high

not enough current, and amp is clipping, going into thermal protection (get a bigger alternator)

amp wired to too low of a load and amp is shutting off for thermal protection

amplifiers need larger power cable for adequate current, else they clip.. see above

those are a few starters

Bronze Member
Username: Kunit

Post Number: 58
I had 3 subs wired parallel and the thermal light on my amp wasnt on fully...just kind of blinking to the beat. So i unhooked the subs because i knew I was overloading the amp. It got brighter also as i turned up the volume. Why didnt the light stay on and not blink?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8498
"impedance" is reactive and varies due to the nature of speakers.
in other words, its not always exactly 4 ohms, or 2 ohms.. it changes constantly.. 2 or 4 ohms being an average.
yours blinks as power increases due to more volume, and lower impedances based on frequencies being played.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us