RMS power ratings Glass or Isaac

Username: Pgstein_84

Post Number: 3
I have a set of MTX TDX6502 speakers. They are listed at 60 watts RMS. I was wondering a couple of things.

First, how important is it to to hit the RMS rating on the speakers?

Second, would I notice a difference between driving them with 40 or 60 watts?

My last question is whether or not I should even worry about a seperate amp or if I should just stick with my HU. (Kenwood MP4028)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3676
Paul, that 60w rms is the max. You don't need full power to get sound.
Your 2nd question, of course you will notice the difference in power, but it'll sound just as good with 40w.
Just about any amp will sound better than the HU at high volume. Don't get fooled by HU's power numbers. It may say 50w x 4, but it reality, it's 15w - 18w. They also distort badly at high volume.

Username: Pgstein_84

Post Number: 7
Thanks Isaac, I appreciate it. You really cleared up a rather confusing issue for me.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8458
yup power ratings are "maximum thermal tolerance" ratings, which is how they should really be labeled IMHO.. but anyway, you usually don't need full RMS power to speakers.
50 watts per channel from a good amplifier would be plenty.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8459
also, difference between 40 and 60 watts. not a big difference.

remember, twice the audible volume is +6 to +10dB
twice the power is +3dB
you're talking less than double the power increase, so maybe +1 to +2dB which is considered "barely audible" in change of volume.

Username: Borked

Post Number: 7
Try getting some speakers with higher sensitivity, so it doesnt require so much power. Like if you can return those and pick up some infinity speakers or something not much more in price but theyll do better with less power. I think anyways, im still new and learning, but this is what ive read. When you have the funds to add an amp you won't need a high wattage amp either which will save ya there, or save ya from the mistake of getting a cheaper amp @ higher wattage then going for a higher quality amp @ lower wattage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us