Capacitor/ deep cycle batteries?

Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 4
Just read the posts on the topic of capacitors, and it seems that most people think they don't really solve the problems that most people associate them with (not enough power being delivered to the amplifiers). I just had a couple of specific questions.

I'm currently running a jl 500/1 to a jl 10w6v2 in a 1995 Geo Prizm. When I got the sub and amp installed about 2 years ago, the install place recommended I get a capacitor, because if I turn the volume all the way up on a song with a lot of bass the lights dim (which they do). I didn't really have the $$$ at the time, so I neglected getting one, and just refrained from turning the volume all the way up. The system has run fine in my car since then, as I usually keep the sub/volume at a level where the lights don't dim. My first question is, was the install place wrong in recommending me to buy a capacitor? From what I have read, I think this would correctly fix the spikes in voltage required, seeing as how my lights only dim when I have the volume all the way up, and there is a lot of bass in the song.

Now I am inheriting a new(er) Geo Prizm (1998), and I'm going to be running a jl 500/1 to 2 jl 8w7's, along with a jl 300/4 to infinity kappa perfect 6.1s up front, and 62.7i's in the back. My other question is do I get a capacitor this time around (since it's going to be another 300 watts to the speakers)? Should I invest in one of those deep cycle batteries (yellow top?, etc.)? Or am I going to need a new alternator? I didn't really think this part through, as I didn't think 800 watts was a ridiculous amount that would require a new alternator. Any advice/recommendations/info are welcome. Thanks a lot.

-Matt

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3672
You've been lucky so far. Most cars can't handle anything over 350w rms on stock alternator.
If you read up on capcacitors in the Accessories section, you should know the answer.
Don't waste your money on capacitor cause it won't help you. You need HO alternator. If you consider the price of cap and a yellowtop battery, it'll equal the cost of HO alternator. I think in one of the posts there, I've explained in detail outlining the costs and benefits.
I use cap in my car for a different purpose. Don't get it unless you have HO alternator.

Bronze Member
Username: Betard

Post Number: 12
Out of curiosity what do you use the cap for in your car.

Bronze Member
Username: Betard

Post Number: 13
and I don't mean "what is a cap for", I mean what is your "different purpose?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3673
I use it to filter my power and to meet current demands of the amp at a faster rate.
You won't believe how smooth the filter is with 1.5F cap. No AC noise/hum.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us